Ashtray

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Magic, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Glazed Ceramics is no more available for now, but I recevied recently my Mini Ashtray (6 cm of diameter) and I wanted to share:
    /openfile/257988/photos/photo49882.jpg

As expected the bottom is not glazed.
    I am very happy with the result and I hope that very soon we will see again Glazed Ceramics at Shapeways.

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Magic.. come on.. this is a bad print - look at the tips, you can see the clay... :confused - are you really happy with the glazing thickness ?

So far i've seen maybe only few good thick glazed ceramics models since this material was introduced.. and that is too bad

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Well, I wouldn't call it a bad print... :)
    I looked again more carefully and in effect in some areas the thickness of the glaze could be better.
    At the edges as you said (but the spots where the glaze is too thin or perhaps even missing are really really small) and also on the top (at 4 o'clock on the picture, it is hardly visible) the glaze is not smooth.
    Actually I was afraid to see layers, that's why I am happy with the print. I think it is acceptable as an ashtray. But you are right, if the part was to be food-safe I guess those points could have been a problem....

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Making an ashtray out of ceramic is almost the inverse of food safe :p. I'm sure the level of glaze will be part of the evaluation.