Miniatures for RPG

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Yerathel, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Yerathel
    Yerathel Member
    Hi all

this is my first post on Shapeways.
    Let me introduce myself: I'm a professional illustrator from Italy, I work with 3D and 2D application (expecially with Zbrush and Photoshop).
    I'm trying to produce miniatures for rpg games, just for fun.
    I would like to know from experts if my models are fine for printing on Shapeways.
    You think there is too much detail? or too little?
    Anyway, I hope you enjoy.
    I'll print them with the Frosted Ultra Detailed material, I think it is the most suitable for this type of models.
    Their height is about 30 mm.

thanks for the comment :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    HI Yerathel,

Welcome to Shapeways! :)

Your models look awesome!

With FUD, you might have some issues, as follows;
    The top model, the tops of the shoulder armour, axe blade, and parts of the shield might be too thin.
    The bottom model, the horn tips and axe blades might be too thin.

Some of the detail on both models might not be as visable as on your renders, but it should be there.

Your best bet is to grab yourself a copy of NetFabb Basic (free) and use the measuring tools to double check.

Have fun.
    Paul

3. Yerathel
    Yerathel Member
    Thanks for the tips.
    I'll try to print the first model to see the results and correct them (if printing is possible with this model).
    Thanks again

4. Hey Yerathel,
    Great models!! I love modeling in ZBrush but find that the polygon count is always too high for export into Shapeways. Last i checked it was a maximum of 1 million polys allowed. I am not by any means a good ZBrush modeler so you might have this under control? Anyway welcome to the community and hope to see more great stuff from you.

Leigh

5. Yerathel
    Yerathel Member
    Hi Leigh

thanks for your words.
    To answer your question, you can download the plugin "decimation Master" from the plugins section from Pixologic site.
    This plugin allows you to decimate your model from, for example, 5,000,000 polygons to, for example, 50,000 polygons without a visible loss of detail.
    My models were originally composed of a global number of polygons about 11,000,000, with the decimation Master I took them to about 450,000 polygons without having a particular loss of detail.
    Also download the manual, which will teach you how to use it.
    greetings and have fun zbrushing :D

6. 92539_deleted
    92539_deleted Member
    Buon giorno Yerathel

really great models!
    Take a look at the 'it arrived' topic, some people here had issues with the FUD material recently. So I'd personally take a closer look to white detail.

Do you plan to paint the models afterwards?

7. Yerathel
    Yerathel Member
    Hello Caesar
    thanks for the compliments.
    My only concern is for the thickness in some areas of the models, but I saw that many users who have printed with the FUD had a very high detail in their models.
    And yes, I think I'll color them, but for the moment I need it only as prototypes for demonstration.

8. So did you get those to print? They look nice.

9. Yerathel
    Yerathel Member
    The prints will arrive Monday 19 (in Italy).
    As soon as I can I will publish photos of them.
    Unfortunately, I already know that one miniature has a problem which is not a problem from Shapeways, but it is a problem of the model.
    But that's okay, it's an experiment to understand how to make models correctly.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  10. Yeah I'm trying to figure out that out too, but my model got rejected after the manual check :\ Wall thickness too small and all.

I'm trying to correct it and I'll try to order it in FUD this time, but the fact that yours passed gives me hope!

Hope yours turn out ok!

11. 92539_deleted
    92539_deleted Member
    Well I made a pendant in silver glossy. The first attempt was rejected because of too thin details.
    So I remodeled that part and it was printable.
    That pendant looks amazing.

So just take a closer look to the parts causing the problem and keep the minimum thicknesses in mind. I had great success doing so.

12. Wow, *very* nice models there. I can't imagine the hours required to produce those details. I'm sure that the sculpting capabilities of Zbrush are invaluable, but I know that whatever the tool, good work comes only with great effort and time.

Be sure to post pictures of the prints. :D

13. Yerathel
    Yerathel Member
    hello and thank you.
    I assure you that it took a few hours, I think about 7 / 8 hours for each model.
    If you want to see pictures of the printed models , click here :)

14. 59012_deleted
    59012_deleted Member
    Excellent work, sir!

At some point I would like to get some of my designs sculpted, but alas, I can't afford sculptors with your level of skill.