Home made

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 101962_deleted, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Hey, I have a home built CNC, Awesome tool to have. Just wondering if I can get some input on possibly mounting some kind of plastic extruder or something on it to print 3d objects?

Check out my video of it:

Youtube video

What do you think?

2. CGD
    CGD Member
    Awesome indeed!

I think you need to consider the range of movement and the resolution for the Z axis of your machine. Because this will limit the vertical size of the 3D piece you can produced and how detail it can be.

Also the CNC software/control you currently using most likely ignore undercuts. One of the advantage of 3D printing will be printing undercuts. So you might also need to modify your control otherwise the end product will be no different form you currently CNCing a block of plastic.

Also also, The software now controls taking away material form the work piece. 3D printing does the opposite, it adds material to the work piece. Seems more modification is needed, before you add the extruder to the CNC.

CGD

3. Well I do have software that can run 5 axis machines, so Maybe the undercut portion wont be a problem, but I do see the point you make that now I am removing material, vs adding. I would think that my machine should be fine (but the z travel limit) as long as i get the right programming software. Do 3d Printers run off of G-code also?

Here is a video of my controller:

Youtube MrFrabcabert

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Look into freeware 3D printers. Like http://www.fabathome.org/?q=node/2 . I'm fairly sure any extrusion based 3d printer would be similar to G-code. Why rewrite the wheel :p

5. Hey mrfrabcabert,
    I love your CNC router, well done. I have also built my own CNC router running on Mach3. I purchased parts for building my own plastic extruding nozzle and have never bothered to implement it onto the router. The main reason for this was the fact that i realized the print quality would never be close to WSF from shapeways in quality, secondly was just pure laziness to be bothered building it. Hahaha. Shapeways is so cheap that i could not justify putting the effort in to the extruding nozzle. I would be very surprised if G-code was not exported from the open source software used for the reprap and all the other ones now available. If not, you would just install the reprap software and use it. I personally think a laser etcher would be the next upgrade i give my CNC router. Look at how cheap these solid state laser cutting heads are.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Watt-808nm-Infrared-Laser-Modul e-Industrial-Cutting-/170658982138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&am p;hash=item27bc1168fa#ht_2650wt_905

Leigh

6. I wonder how thick of a material these things can cut. I have a wood base, I'm sure that wouldn't fly all to well with a laser cutter.