New shop site design bugs

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by aegidian, Aug 26, 2011.

1. aegidian
    aegidian Member
    Screen Shot 2011-08-26 at 23.23.42.PNG

Frustratingly wrong 'available to others at cost' information.

Worryingly, if you click the 'at cost' option and then click the 'in My Shop for profit' option, that will set all your markup to zero!

The description text editing area is too small for most of my descriptions, and overflows the options below it when being edited.

FYI this is for my model: http://shpws.me/2Htd

PS. In short, yuk! :cry:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. stefan_z
    stefan_z Member
    OK let's make this thread the official "what's wrong with my shapeways?" thread :) (or where is that thread?)...

- Where can I delete items?
    - Why can't I chose wether to show/sell the item during upload anymore?
    - 3D view still not working on OSX (it did till Java was updated)

EDIT:
    - no way to save changes to the items. seriously?
    Item was viewable by public, but could not be sold. 2nd change worked.
    My comments were not saved either. Clicking OK just deletes the text!
    Workaround for sloppy JS-bug: Enter Text and then switch to OK-button with TAB and hit SPACE instantly to save. Waiting for 1 sek. will revert to old/empty comment. Maybe learn using jQuery ;)
    - Applying only one material as option leads to an empty material selector in the shop.
    - uploading pics does nothing

I hope this is still work in progress :eek:
    And how about a beta server next time? :twisted:

3. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    It is a little weird that this launched on Friday afternoon. Traffic slows during the weekend anyway, but obviously this means things are not going to change until next week.

I am frustrated about the "could not scale image" error message blocking all the photos on every item.

I noticed the "available at cost" message only pops up when I'm logged in, so it does not mean people can buy your item at cost.

4. stefan_z
    stefan_z Member
    Yeah not cool.

Instead of buying a cool new server, setting that up and transfering testers over there they just mess up a (mostly) working system.

Not a way I would have chosen...

5. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Shop sections are missing from the design editor.

I appreciate that the new interface would be pretty snappy if it were complete and worked, but this is a very messy launch. Why no warning or testing?

6. stefan_z
    stefan_z Member
    Click on the EDIT on the top right for editing ;)
    But good luck saving the correct setting .-)

7. bluelinegecko
    bluelinegecko Well-Known Member
    Wow.. super buggy!!

This major of a redesign needed to be put into a beta mode for sure.

The material information is correct but all my models are only showing a few types of materials available. The default material isn't even showing up as an option to order!

Hopefully this gets fixed soon or they need to revert back asap! I feel shapeways really dropped the ball hard on this one.

8. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem Member
    I can't manage to order my models in any Strong & Flexible other than Grey

it's driving me crazy!

9. aegidian
    aegidian Member
    Maybe someone thought they were testing this interface on a beta server and it only accidentally went live in an unfinished state (that's what I'm hoping.)

On the plus side, being able to enter a final price point for a material is useful, although it'd be even more useful if sales tax/VAT could be incorporated.

Another bug is the shortened material names (so WSF and WSFP are confused) and lack of links to the material info.

Another bug is the lack of a 'please wait' interstitial when uploading a new version of a model,

Another is that the materials listed for editing don't match up with those available on the markup page (in my model's case White Detail and Black Detail went AWOL.)

10. 16076_deleted
    16076_deleted Member
    White Strong Flexible isn't available at all.

Shouldn't of tried to fix something that wasn't broken to be frank.

11. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    It's SERIOUSLY broken for me.. No model previews will display at all, no material options, every model says "available without markup".. general mess.

FYI.. I'm runing MSIE9 on Win7.

12. Bathsheba
    I logged out to see what customers get, and the major problem from this side is images being broken. Other than that it seemed to work; I could see all the materials and put them in my cart.

But no customer's going to order anything without being able to see it. I'm losing money.

I was in the middle of pushing more items to Shapeways, but now I think I'd better do something else. This isn't going well at all.

13. Eeeek!!

Worst release ever! So sorry for all the bugs and confusion.

To make it better right away we've brought back the previous version of Shapeways so you can continue without the nasty bugs.

We are working on ironing out the tech issues as well as the usability and we hope to have the great new features live as soon as possible!

Thanks so much for bearing with us :blush:

Best,
    Josh

14. Bathsheba
    Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it for reals.

15. aegidian
    aegidian Member
    Thanks for the revert!

As suggested above, how about putting out a 'try the New Shapeways' option (in the same way Google tests out their new interfaces), next time.

That way we can report any serious problems with the design before it goes live.

16. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    thread cross-referenced here

17. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Despite a few bugs in the new interface, I really like it!

The trouble I found so far:
    (some already mentioned by others)

- the "at cost" was too easily accessible, once clicked all markups erased.
    - no obvious save button?
    - too cramped of a space for this new material markup entry.

- hard to click the amount and edit them "inline", I prefer a number to be selected once clicked or double clicked, so I can type the right amoung, instead of worrying where the cursor is. (current double click only selects partial)

- despite changing things, up top, it kept saying: This model is private and available for sale without markup to others.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  18. bluelinegecko
    bluelinegecko Well-Known Member
    I think the new design ought to include a more obvious 3-d view button. Newbies to this site probably don't even realize they can view the renderings in 3d. That really need to be highlighted I think.

19. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, was Josh Levine, our new VP of Engineering.

As you may have guessed, him and some of our devs found themselves deep into a pretty late night at the office on Friday while hustling to get this release out the door. From what I understand, the results we're, um, pretty messy. Oops. Sorry for the unsettling change.

The good thing is that this served as a very effective learning experience for knowing how we should make releases in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing this page re-released, with many fewer hiccups. Thanks for your patience!

20. aegidian
    aegidian Member
    Then can I make one further criticism of the new page design for Josh - the 'folded corner' indicator of the default material choice.

This was a a classic 'mystery meat' example of bad website design, a user had no idea of how to set the default material unless they chose to hover the mouse in the appropriate area of the screen.

For the final design, a more obviously labelled or obviously clickable design element (like, I dunno, a radio button?!!) would be a much better choice.