Community request top x

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by virtox, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Here's an attempt to put together some of the requests of our nice little community.

Please post your feature requests to the thread and I will add them and try to compile an overview of most wanted.
    (numbering is arbitrary and for short term reference, as items will be added and resorted)

[list type=1]
    [*] Report sales without markup
    [*] Fix markup matrix for large shops: Breakdown per section / 10 rows per page to speed up / Hide models not for sale/Show only model not for sale.
    [*] Improve site loading time, replace unnecessary ajax.
    [*] Better markup management on product page, add a "to all" button
    [*] Triple check the buying flow (add to cart vs order now)
    [*] Modelnumbers in order overview.
    [*] Order and orderline numbers in shipping email
    [*] Shipped dates in order overview
    [*] Personal orders in order overview
    [*] Resubmit/Edit previous orders
    [*] Rich description for each shop section (as current shop description)
    [*] Make separate page of old shop-inventory, current old version has reload issues.
    [*] Allow edit of shop-section names
    [*] Allow sorting of shop-sections
    [*] Long model names in order overview.
    [*] Allow to move an object at the end/beginning of the list in the new product inventory and to move it to the next/previous "page", exactly as in the old inventory (a page could be a group of 8 objects for instance): one position at a time is not really efficient.
    [*] Allow more than two lines of products in the old inventory
    [*] Allow the editing of picture caption in product page (not only at upload time)
    [*] Allow sorting of pictures in product page
    [*] Allow more than one video in the product page
    [*] Full model names in shipping email
    [*] Differentiation between customer and personal orders in shipping email
    [*] Delete models from an overview page
    [*] Manage models from overview page (visible/private/unlisted)
    [*] A better 3d viewer, preferably capable of color.
    [*] Improve pricing model for co-creator items, markup dependent on actual volume used in uploaded model.
    [*] Make download button available for shop-owners on co-creator models.
    [*] Fix that models can't be updated, if "available in material" list is empty. (the (no suitable material/size error)
    [*] Fix co-creator theme sort, sort by name/price does not work as expected.
    [*] Improve voting system (moderated)
    [*] Excel/CSV export/import feature, so we can mass edit all data for all models offline.
    [*] Impossible to order co-creator items when "Listed on site" option is un-set. (private co-creator?)
    [*] Shapeways should not cancel co-creator orders without contacting the designer, allowing to fix the error
    [*] Fix the Material filter in the Gallery's Product (see for instance the category dice, where you will see that all dice seem to be available in any material, which they are not.
    [*] Fix the Category selection, it is not consistent: for the first sub-category it is OK if you check the category and then the sub-category, but for the second if you check first a category you cannot check any of its sub-category anymore.
    [*] Allow URL with brackets in the forum posts or remove any bracket from Shapeways URL's, because brackets break links.
    [*] Fix count between brackets in shops section, the amount currently does not correlate with actual amount of public items. Magics jewels contains 27 items, page right bottom says 29
    [*] Co-creator bug: sometimes an item from order overview does not appear on todo-list and designer does not get an email with link. The current fix/work-around is not clear.
    [*] Improve communication about incidental manual fixes and workarounds.
    [*] A "model page" as the customer sees, having a separate browser session to do so is cumbersome.
    [*] The "model edit" pages as we see them now also have grown a bit beyond practical : "Choose a material" and "Related products" take up a lot space which could be more useful for editing things related to the model.
    [*] The "Private Galleries" bit on the model page, has been superseded by "shop sections"? If not not used, why not hide it?
    [*] Some sort of mini material matrix/list on the product page, so we can see all material markups for that model and use check boxes to enable/disable materials. Also instead of the sluggish "Not available in:" stuff.
    [*] Reverse the awkward "Not available in" / "Add to unavailable" logic to the more logical "Model is designed for / printable in".
    [*] For private models, on order rejection, do not fiddle with the materials list, do not set to "Not available".
    [*] Consistent order numbers in each and every message ex. "Your model has been shipped" has no order number at all
    ex. "Your order 36794 at Shapeways" and "Shapeways | Order 133629 was cancelled" have no apparent relation
    [*] Consistent, sortable subject lines in each and every message
    ex. "Your order 36794 at Shapeways"and "Shapeways | Order 133629 was cancelled" cannot be sorted by any means.
    [*] A consistent information block in each and every message. Less blah-blah, more information: model number and names, order numbers, order dates, est. production dates, shipping dates, etc. etc.
    [*] Order time in order overview
    [*] Geographical location in order overview
    [*] Allow youtube as image replacement at top of product page/Allow placement of youtube video in description using [video] or similar tag.
    [*] Update dates when there are new delays with on going orders, maybe even send an email.
    [*] In the product page, have a checkbox to indicate if hooks are to be added to the package for earrings (and later necklace for pendants, as soon as necklaces are re-introduced).
    [*] Jewel category broken Fixed August 27
    [*] Change several item's material in one step during ordering.
    [/list]

Keep ehm coming :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011
  2. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Not top priority so I go on with the numbering:

13. Allow to move an objet at the end/begining of the list in the new product inventory and to move it to the next/previous "page", exactly as in the old inventory (a page could be a group of 8 objects for insance): one position at a time is not really efficient.

14. Allow more than two lines of products in the old inventory

15. Allow the edition of picture caption in product page (not only at upload time)

16. Allow sorting of pictures in product page

17. Allow more than oe video in the product page

3. virtox
    Good ones!
    Added them to the list! :)

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    +1 to all of the above, and;

Full/long model name in shipping email along with differentiation between own order and customer order.

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    5b) ShippedDate in OrderOverview.xls
    5c) Personal orders in OrderOverview.xls

20) Downloadable shop inventory list

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    What a list! Just so ya know, this thread has been seen, and we'll be digging to see what's going on with known items, and add ones that aren't already on the to do list. Luckily all I have to do is point these out, and don't actually have to do the fixing :p.

7. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    I have many objects that I don't want to have for sale, and many that I do. I would like to be able to have a button to sort them separately when I look at my shop.

Lincoln

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  8. virtox
    Added and added, keep ehm coming! :)

@Mike Cool! Please note though that for now it's a work in progress;
    "Ideally" this should end up to be a "complete" list of a compatible set of features/fixes that maximizes efficiency for all :)

Numbering will change as the list grows, it's merely for short-term reference to discuss/refine.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  9. virtox
    I have been searching for and will try to keep track of feature requests/bugs posted in the forums and add them here.

Please also post your support for any particular item so we can determine what are the most critical issues.

10. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    - Shapeways should not cancel co-creator orders without contacting the designer, allowing to fix the error (Sep-2010)

- Come up with a better pricing model for co-creator items (Sep-2010)

- 3D Java viewer is broken (Jan-2011)

- Download button disappears (Feb-2011)

- Unable to update "Not for Sale" models (March-2011)

- Co-creator platform sort not working as expected (Apr-2011)

- Simple improvement voting system (moderated) (May-2011)

- Excel/CSV export/import feature (May-2011)

- Material selector does not work on co-creator items (Aug-2011)

- Order Now button does not work as expected on co-creator items (Aug-2011)

- Impossible to order co-creator items when "Listed on site" option is un-set

11. virtox
    Thanks for you contribution!
    Added all the new ones (some were already in the list)

Please let me know if you miss anything and if the list/items are clear enough.

12. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    - Fix the Material filter in the Gallery's Product (see for instance the category Dice where you will see that all dice seem to be available in any material)
    - Fix the Category selection, it is not consistent: for the first sub-category it is OK if you check the category and then the sub-category, but for the second if you check first a category you cannot check any of its sub-category anymore (ex: if I want to set an item to Game->Dice and Art -> Mathematical Art, you should let met check Game/Dice/Art/Mathematical Art - that is categories and sub-categories - OR only Dice/Mathematical Art that is sub-categories only but not the current inconsistent system where I can select Game/Dice/Art - that is 3 checkboxes -and get stuck because Mathematical Art is not checkable anymore)

[EDIT] another one : allow URL with square brackets in the posts or remove any square bracket from Shapeways URL's ;)
    Example: this URL cannot be linked automatically (using the link button or just writing the URL in the text of the post):
    Code:
    https://www.shapeways.com/gallery?mg[search][categories]=51&mg[search][clear]

Here are the results:
    - writing the URL in the text: https://www.shapeways.com/gallery?mg[search][categories]=51&mg[search][clear]
    - using the link button: [categories]=51&mg[search][clear]]Dice

13. virtox
    Added!

14. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Thanks
    You though I had two hidden pieces of jewelry? :)
    This is not the case, actually (I also see 27 items when logged)...
    So, you are right: this is a bug; but not related to hidden items...
    Question: what about separating bugs from new features? (perhaps it is a bad idea, just asking)

15. virtox
    Lol, well, I had noticed in my own shop, and that correlation seemed logical ;) But I was in your shop and noticed the discrepancy too, hence the example ;)

I was pondering the same thing, seems logical :)

Also, some are way more complex than others, and not everyone might agree yet on proposed items.

But from a developers point of view, whether solving bugs or writing new features, both take time.

So for now, just gathering all wishes and annoyances in one central public place to keep track of things seems like a good first step :)

In a while we can prioritize/sort the items and sync with shapeways what the most pressing issues are.

16. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I may be in the process of doing this :rolleyes: .

17. virtox
    Great! Thanks :)

18. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    Time estimates for some of the easy ones.
    Just in case somebody comes up with "great suggestions, we've added them to the bottom of our lists"

5. Triple check the buying flow (add to cart vs order now) [est. time: 5 min to edit two button labels]
    7. Order and orderline numbers in shipping email [est time: 30 min to edit an email template]
    21. Full model names in shipping email [est. time: 30 min to edit an email template]
    22. Differentiation between customer and personal orders in shipping email [est. time: 60 min to edit an email template]
    28. Make download button available for shop-owners on co-creator models. [est. time: 5 min to remove an extraneous IF]
    29. Fix that models can't be updated, if "available in material" list is empty. (the (no suitable material/size error) [est time: 30 min to remove unnecessary logic]
    31. Improve voting system (moderated) [est. time: 2 min to appoint a moderator]
    33. Impossible to order co-creator items when "Listed on site" option is un-set. (private co-creator?) [est. time: 10 min to correct a false IF]

Plus some more:
    [hr]
    - A "model page" as the customer sees it would be useful, having a separate browser session to do so is cumbersome. (Apr-2011)
    [hr]
    - The "model edit" pages as we see them now also have grown a bit beyond practical, some thoughts: (Apr-2011)
    -- While it's cool for shopping customers, the whole "Choose a material" and "Related products" take up a lot space which could be more useful for editing things related to the model. [est. time: 30 min to exclude from view]
    -- For years I have been watching the "Private Galleries" bit on the model page, I assume this has been superseded by "shop sections"? Anyhow, as long as its not used, why not hide it? [est time: 5 min to remove some HTML]
    -- Some sort of mini material matrix/list on the product page, so we can see all material markups for that model and use check boxes to enable/disable materials. Also instead of the sluggish "Not available in:" stuff
    [hr]
    - Reverse the awkward "Not available in" / "Add to unavailable" logic to the more logical "Model is designed for / printable in" [est. time: 1 day to reverse logic]
    [hr]
    - for private models, on order rejection, do not fiddle with the materials list, do not set to "Not available" [est. time: 30 min to add an IF]
    [hr]
    - overall flow and content of emails, subject, order numbers, model titles: (Apr-2011) [est time: 2 days to review and repair them all]
    -- consistent order numbers in each and every message ex. "Your model has been shipped" has no order number at all
    ex. "Your order 36794 at Shapeways" and "Shapeways | Order 133629 was cancelled" have no apparent relation
    -- consistent, sortable subject lines in each and every message
    ex. "Your order 36794 at Shapeways"and "Shapeways | Order 133629 was cancelled" cannot be sorted by any means
    -- a consistent information block in each and every message. Less blah-blah, more information
    i.e. model number and names, order numbers, order dates, est. production dates, shipping dates, etc. etc.

19. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Someone from shapeways team made a co-creator on my name/account... to "solve" a logged co-creator sale from July 30th (!) with the status "waiting for finishing" (i.e: the designer/me hasn't uploaded it it.. (only this designer didn't get any email about it nor is it on the to-do list :rolleyes: ) instead of addressing this properly and locating the customer who made (and paid?) for it .... :confused

plus the fact that i didn't get a reply to my email on this subject shows you how things start to deteriorate around here (or perhaps just for me.. )

20. virtox
    @dizingof: Thanks, they have been added to the list.

@trompe: Thanks for the scrape! Items have been added.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.