Portal Themed Rings

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by sbruins, Aug 8, 2011.

1. sbruins
    sbruins Member
    Still a WIP but here are the designs so far. As a sort of mini-project the members of GrabCAD and I are working to design an LED illuminated GLaDOS ring.

Let me know what you think!

Turret Ring
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

GLaDOS Ring
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    I think they're absolutely fantastic!!! I want them all!! :p

3. phildlight
    phildlight Member
    Very cool! Check out 0402 SMLED's! Smaller than a pin head. Might help.

4. sbruins
    sbruins Member
  5. phildlight
    phildlight Member
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  6. sbruins
    sbruins Member
    I have some SR416SW size batteries on order but they haven't arrived yet. I don't know much about electronics so I'm hoping they will work without frying the LED (or not being powerful enough).

7. phildlight
    phildlight Member
    Yep, that's probably your best bet. You wont fry the LED's. Especially not with watch or hearing aid batteries.

When you get your LED's, keep in mind that LED's have a cathode and anode side which isn't marked or identified on the little SMLED's. You just have to solder leads on the contacts and test them. Mark them when you determine which is which. You won't fry them if you get it wrong, they just wont light up.

For soldering, get double stick tape and stick the LED to the tape. Tin the lead (put solder on your iron and then dip the bare wire in the solder) then when you lay the lead on the LED, just touch the wire with the soldering iron and you should be good. Keep the heat away from the LED as much as possible.

Sorry if you already knew this.

8. sbruins
    sbruins Member
    I've done some basic soldering in the past but nothing this small. Thanks for the tip on using double side tape!

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Usually with LED's the longer wire or connector or whatever is positive (same with most electronics).

10. phildlight
    phildlight Member
    yes, but SM (surface mounted) LED's don't have leads. They have contacts that are typically indistinguishable in the smallest sizes. Even with a magnifying glass the 0402 (what I work with) you cannot see any difference between sides. It's easy to test w/ a 9v battery.

11. Youknowwho4eva
    Philip, you are right. I did find this though. http://www.kingbrightusa.com/images/catalog/SPEC/APG1608CGKC -T.pdf
    I went to the site sbruins said they got their leds from and it says their is a polarity mark on the bottom. This part I'm not sure about, I'm not an electrician either, but seeing the flow is from left to right, the positive is the left and the negative on the right?

12. phildlight
    phildlight Member
    I see. The ones I deal with don't have a mark and I'd imagine even if they did you would need one hell of a magnification device to see it. The way these things come doesn't help either.

here's a pic to help illustrate the size of these things: (btw. not my finger. LOL)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  13. Youknowwho4eva
    You can't see that? I can see it :p jk. I have a little trouble thinking in mm. 1/32" wide is a little small to see an arrow that is probably no more than 1/64".

14. You have trouble thinking in naturally tiny measurements, but have no trouble with bizarre fractions of less tiny ones? You people are backwards. :p
    Those are some frickin' minuscule LEDs - how are you even supposed to wire them up - train nanobots to do it for you?

15. phildlight
    phildlight Member
    LOL. I'm American but I can't stand imperial engineering. I can only visualize in mm now.

Soldering these things is insanely difficult. I usually destroy about 5 to get 1 good one.

It's easier to surface solder them using solder paste than to try to add leads.

16. 99438_deleted
    99438_deleted Member
    I approve of this project. So very, very much.

Also, my roommates want these as wedding rings.

17. sbruins
    sbruins Member
    Thanks! I'm glad you like them!

18. 19516_deleted
    19516_deleted Member
    for switches have you thought of having it so the light is on when the ring is warn, as the battry wont be strong using the wearer as the contact completing the circuit is a viable option.

two metal rings on the inner of the main ring would work. (wow did that discription blow)

19. jeff
    jeff Member
    philip, ef, those are small. you are a patient man.

scott, you keep us updated on this project as it goes along, lots of fun.

20. sbruins
    sbruins Member
    Will do! I discovered I ordered the wrong size batteries :blush:
    So I'm going to make a RadioShack or Ax Man run tonight and see if I can find the right ones.

Also I ruined 2 of the LEDs already trying to solder them. I think they got too hot so I'll try again tonight or tomorrow.

I have a Printed GLaDOS ring now (off our ProJet 3000 SD at work) so hopefully it won't take too much longer to get everything working!