Best material for dice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88757_deleted, Jul 31, 2011.

1. 88757_deleted
    88757_deleted Member
    So I've ordered a few dice here on here. I've tried it in white strong, white detail but the problem is there's no finish on the dice so over time they pick up dirt and get stained. So I tried spray painting them with a gloss white but that just rubbed off and turned color too. so i guess my question is.

What is the best material to get dice made of? Is there clear coat or something i should be using?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    Personally Bronze:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any of the plastics where out. WSF is pretty good if you die with RIT die but does have a powdered finish. I have some polished WSF on order will let you know when it comes.

3. 88757_deleted
    88757_deleted Member
    Kewl i would love to see the polished ones, as the table we play on is glass and the metal dice are just loud...lol and the powder finish just collects finger grease and messes it up does the white RIT die do anything.? how are normal game dice polished?

4. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    i don't know how they are normally polished. Try asking at dicecollector.com in the forum

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Normal dice start as solid plastic (some injected, some cut), so they are not dusty. They are polished like many other items including PWSF, abrasive material and vibration/tumbling.

If you want WSF to stop catching dust, soak it something like paint, varnish or glue, so all the pores all closed, and the surface gets a smoother touch too. A bottle of model or artist acrylic varnish is pretty cheap and you can brush as much as needed until it builds up, just make sure there is no support material left (probably with detail materials).