EA Class New Zealand Railway

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Dotsan, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Hi I wanted to share work in progress of my latest commission. I know there are many miniature railway enthusiasts on Shapeways that would appreciate this project.

My client is in New Zealand and I'm in Edinburgh, the other side of the world, this is a fantastic example of how the internet facilitates global collaborations. I hope to share pictures of the printed engine soon.

All the models can be purchased from my clients shop

The model is of a EA Class New Zealand Railway electric engine.

[​IMG]
    EA Class New Zealand Railway by Dot San, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Expertise: Models created, checked, repaired, shelled and colored
    Experience: 10yrs+
    Portfolio: Dot San
    Flickr: Dot San on Flickr
    Rate:Fixed rate,no two jobs are the same,email to discuss
    Shapeways Interview
    Shapeways reviews
    Facebook

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. 2ARail
    2ARail Member
    I'm in awe of the model, and your skills, but I have to ask why 1:20th scale? It seems an odd one for Model Railway equipment.

3. coaster
    coaster Well-Known Member
    1:120 it should be written.

4. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Thanks for your comments and yes it should be 1:120.
    Regards
    V

5. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
  6. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Looks cool!

Put a thin layer of primer on the model and make a picture again, you will be able to see all the details on the model :D

7. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  8. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    the paintwork looks great! :eek:

9. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    I've received a few more pictures which I'd like to share.
    The Prints are in New Zealand and are being painted by Steve 4 Painting

All the models can be purchased from my clients shop

[​IMG]
    EO primed by Dot San, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    EO primed2 by Dot San, on Flickr

there has been some nasty banding on the side, hopefully some sanding will get rid of it.

10. GWMT
    GWMT Active Member
    That's some very nice work, VirtualV!

Why did you cut off the side handrails and air horn?

The back of the loco was at the bottom of the print - that caused the fuzziness on the sides and front where support material was deposited to hold up the wind deflectors on the cab windows and the front handrail. I'm not sure what caused the diagonal banding on the side - did you contact customer service about it? I don't think that's supposed to happen anymore.

11. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    GWMT
    Thanks for your comments and sharing your printing knowledge. I think the horn and handrail may of been removed to make painting easier, I'll have to check with client.
    Regards
    V

12. coaster
    The horns and rails have given way through handling and shipping,I reshipped them to painter and possiably didnt do good enough job packing wise :( Details like them are quite hard to see before any paint is put on them(or its poor eyesite!)
    These prints where done @ august last year,so banding shouldnt be like these if printed now probably.When all the bugs with FUD are ironed out I may replace these but at the moment Im more than happy with them.And these where my fisrt experience with 3dprints.

cheers
    Stu

13. GWMT
    GWMT Active Member
    The last FUD and FD I received were good; unfortunately they weren't packed decently and got damaged in transit. Your handrails and pilots won't survive shipping the way it's currently done by Shapeways.

The only way you'll be able to avoid lots of support material being printed on the outside faces of your loco is to break it into separate sides and roof pieces. I did that with the attached model and it printed nice and clean. The floor, sides, underframe and ends tab and slot together.
    THB 2600 HO 52-6 NSC gon 3D Print.jpg

14. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    If handrails etc can't survive in transit they are not likely to survive finishing and normal handling.

15. coaster
    Hi Guys,Just to clarify my earlier post.The handrails where all intact when I recieved them from shapeways,all barone tiny one.They came off after I got them,not being carefull enough with the great detail,realising the detail is there......after knocking it off :blush:
    The good thing is they can be replaced with "aftermarket"detail bits.
    My carriages have fine handrails on them and they have survived,production,handling,shipping and me.

Cheers
    Stu

16. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
  17. hi are you able scale up this eo print to nzr s scale and the is ea class loco

18. are you able to send me eo file i can see how it the body shell sit on the under-frame