how do I fix a crappy shapeways render

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by 91317_deleted, Jul 11, 2011.

1. 91317_deleted
    91317_deleted Member
    So far Shapeways renders that illustrate my products have been abysmal.
    <a href="https://www.shapeways.com/model/292955/cute_skull_ring.html?gid=ug" target="_blank"></a>
    How do I replace shapeways renders with my own render or a photograph?

2. 91317_deleted
    91317_deleted Member
    Oh wait. I just figured it out myself.
    Spot the n00b.

3. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    welcome to shapeways

if the renders come out really bad odds are there is a problem with your model.

4. 91317_deleted
    91317_deleted Member
    They have all been rendered from really bad angles. SO I put up my own renders. They aren't a whole lot better, but at least you can see the important features of the model.

5. mctrivia
    I use netabb (free program) to rotate my models so they render nicely and show what I want seen. Create a test model so you can experiment with different angles.

Or just render yourself. Would love to know what steps you use to make renders.

6. 91317_deleted
    91317_deleted Member
    I will definitely try netabb. I love the freeware! Do you know if there is a linux version?

BTW, those are some seriously awesome dice you've designed.

7. mctrivia
    sorry typo netfabb and yes there is linux

and thanks. it is fun designing dice

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  8. omnione
    omnione Member
    Please DO tell how to get rid of that initial rendering.... :( I just uploaded my first model and I have the same problem. So far I have not figured it out.

9. omnione
    omnione Member
    aaaah I finally found it too :D

10. 91317_deleted
    91317_deleted Member
    I wonder if figuring out how to get rid of the original shapeways rendering is a rite of passage on shapeways? To be fair though, sometimes their renderings are really good. Sometimes being about 20% of the time.

11. Dune_Doree
    Dune_Doree Member
    i can import an own render or photograph, but i can't replace the old shapeways-render. So the standard image is still the shapaways-render. How do i do this?
    thanks in advance

12. omnione
    omnione Member
    On the page where you can edit your item and upload new images or renderings you need to look on the right hand side and scroll down a bit. There is a section where you can change the "Title" and below that you can choose the "Main thumbnail image" from the images you uploaded. Hope that helps.

13. 91317_deleted
    91317_deleted Member
    What monione said. LOL

Also, when you upload your new render or photograsph remember to put something that tells you what it is in the description box. It only has to be a couple of words as the only place you seem to see it is when you change the "main thumbnail image". When you are done remember to save your changes. The button to save changes is at the bottom right hand corner of the page.

14. Dune_Doree
    Dune_Doree Member
    thank you both!

15. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Noobs teaching Noobs :D . Glad you guys got it figured out. The Shapeways render is a tricky widget. They want it to look great for you guys, but greatness takes time. And with all the models on SW it takes a loooong time to update them all. That and it would make uploads take longer.