Awesome full color prints!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by tristan_bethe, Jul 6, 2011.

1. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    This time around I received an extra big white box with blue tape from shapeways. And they really outdid them selves this time!

After ordering 5 models of the wrong material last time I got it right this time around. And boy did shapeways get it right this time around as well!

Absolutely beautiful full color prints.

Last time I ordered the grandpa model I was not too happy with the result since the wax varnish was very spotty.

However I hollowed out that model to save some costs and in the end I think that was the cause of the problem.

This round I ordered solid models and they came out perfect!

I Also added a layer of protective varnish myself. A tip RogersX gave me

It is the stuff used on oil paintings and apart from making it a bit more scratch resistant it added a little gloss as a bonus! It looks great! I purchased some marble shelves and bolted it to the print in the special made holes I added. This gives the whole some extra weight which makes it feel even more special.

Also I could now use my newly created little photo studio!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg

1.jpg

File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg

2.jpg

File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg

3.jpg

File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg

4.jpg

File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg

5.jpg

File size:
      1,020.6 KB
      Views:
  2. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    Another one that did not fit in the first post...

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg

6.jpg

File size:
      938.8 KB
      Views:
  3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Very nice indeed !

I think Nancy forgot to tell us about replacing the full color partner(?) or what?

The WHITE looks way better than before and the colors are vivid

Now if you're not going to make a chain of "Scan your self" booths in malls all over the world - i will !! ;)

4. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    Haha! Please make the booths and tell me how you do it quickly, I am curious!

Have to say I did touch up the colors slightly since I made the skin of some scans a bit to saturated for printing. I attached some un edited pics.

Also funny you spot the details of the white print. It was done by a different scanner I normally use. It will definitely be my next scanner if I can get enough funds for it (around $17500) It would make the booth idea way more feasible as well :)

Attached Files:

5. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    As always, fantastic work!

Lincoln

6. These are great!!!
    Having experience in the printing industry ( 2D color printing ) i know how crazy it is trying to get the color correct. I wonder if you will be able to send a pan-tone chat reference off in the future to get the correct color match. This opens a hole new can of worms.

Leigh

7. Sol3
    Sol3 Member
    Wow. This really is amazing!

8. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    @sFsGaming & @novaking Thanks!

@Leigh from what I understand for now it is like printing with a old inkjet on dust :p so Pantone colors are probably some way of.

I come from a graphics design background and went into 3D to get away from the precise knowledge needed for 2d printing on dead trees. Looks like I came full circle and now I am figuring out how to get the colors right when printing on dust :D

It is quite a bit of trial and error. Skin colors tend to come out to orange/yellow. So I have to make sure to de-saturate skin. Grandpa was the only one that came out correctly skin wise

9. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Yeah just like regular printing, once you send a sample to the printer and get it back you can usually adjust to fit their specs. But WOW! I mean the color in these is on par with those World of Warcraft on demand prints and they actually add some paint highlight to theirs after they are printed.
    https://www.figureprints.com/wow/Default.aspx

I think these examples would be a hit for those custom golf trophies etc you mentioned earlier. Also the glass domes that come with the WoW figures, might be great for your trophies? (Pending the trophy figure's pose could fit inside, golf swing etc)

Great scans and color and HUGE kudos to Shapeways for crazy good quality! The tones are just amazing, Sick! (Not to mention cheap considering the price of full color sandstone)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  10. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    Something like this? :p Only rhis dome is a bit too small for a statuette with a marble shell.

But it is true: a glase dome and a nice box to send it in makes for a very nice whole...

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg

7.jpg

File size:
      1,014.3 KB
      Views:
  11. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Aghh! I hate you! :D You are on the ball! Very nice!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  12. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Very nice indeed. Much better than the previous ones you showed.

Please, Shapeways, have you gone to a different printer or changed the way you print full-colour now?

@tristan - Are you saying that because you modelled these as solid rather than hollow that this is what improved the colour?

As mentioned above, I think that the first company to get a chain of stores set up where a person can be scanned and printed (pick your virtual clothes!) is going to make a fortune. It is reminiscent of the early days of photography when photographing people is all they seemed to do!

Glenn

13. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    There is one such company already... it appeared somewhere in blogs/news, a year or so ago.

14. There is a little store in a mall near where i live here in Sydney Australia that has a 3D scanner that you sit in, once scanned they use a laser to make a point cloud of your head in a block of acrylic. You most likely have all seen one of these type of services. A 3D color print would be a massive overhaul of this business model indeed. My partner and me decided to try and recreate one of those bad 80's mall glam shots you once could get. This is the one of me. Embarrassing i know!! i wonder what the 3D printed equivalent would be? Leigh Glam small.jpg

15. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Hey Glenn,

We are testing a different post processes now and will report asap.

There is a place in Tokyo you can scan and print your head onto a figurine, very cool.

Leigh, looking very handsome, there was a short period in the early nineties when I worked at Star Shots in a mall in Surfers Paradise...

Oh the glamor!!!!

16. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    @lensman The color was never the problem. It was the wax finish that was gave white specks on the surface. Maybe coincidence but the last batch was solid and all looked absolutely gorgeous! The secret of shapeways colors is also in the post process as @drscott said. I tried a few different companies for the color prints now and they sent me models with washed out colors.

about scanning booths in general: the technology is here already but very expensive and I wonder if that matches up with what a booth audience is willing to pay for such a product.

When the price of scanners come down (the scanners that work with out any post processing by an operator) it will become feasible. until then I want to offer it as a quality/luxury product.

Check my site which is still under revision: statyou.com (dutch only for now, scanning makes it a local thing)

17. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Looking again at the the guys with the white shirt i have to say i'm glad my W.o.W post helped create this change ;)

Hopefully its not a one time thing like with my iPhone Coasters where the white was shockingly WHITE..
    (pictures taken by the production team)

Are these pics the most recent full color prints you had?

18. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    @dizingof please do not judge that image from the second post.

Check the original images i posted without color correction (here). It was still a bit yellow and thats why I removed some saturation from the yellow channel.

This is a digital render of the same model/textures. So it should be pretty white. I did not mind it in this model but I can imagine if I made a scan/print of a bride in a white dress she will be a bit dismayed if her dress turned out yellowish..

The other print companies I tried (i.competitive service) did manage the white but the rest of the colors looked washed out.

19. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    ahhh :confused

perhaps you should ask i.competitive service not to post process it? - they polished a thin layer of the surface of my tiger so the colors are a bit washed out but the white is amazing..

[​IMG]

20. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Yes, I know what you mean about the wax. The only FCS I've had printed so far was this one, and the extensive post-processing meant that I unwittingly used the wax to my advantage here by seemingly melting and polishing it. This would have looked terrible on, say, a small bust.

whale fluke printed.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011