End = Beginning mobius

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by stop4stuff, Jul 6, 2011.

1. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    End = Beginning = mobius strip, representing the end of something is the beginning of something new, and on a mobius strip, it is endless.

Designed by request, I liked it so much I bought one myself!

The images show the piece after I have lightly polished the printed stainless using 200 grit followed by 1200 wet & dry and a final buffing with Brasso - I really like the finish as it still shows the grain of the printed surface.

[​IMG]
    Large image here

[​IMG]
    Large image here

I received this about a week ago, but have only just been able to get a decent photo.

For both images, I've used magnets to support the piece. In the top image the mobius strip is held by a magnet to a steel rod, and in the 2nd image it is held against a mirror by a magnet behind the mirror.

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    You got a thang for mobius as i have for docks for iPhone :D

Its beautiful !

3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Very nice. I have no idea what an equivalent for Brasso would be in Canada - anyone?

Glenn

4. stop4stuff
    @Dizingof - mobius shapes are just one of those things that can't be easily moulded - well suited to 3D printing :)

@Lensman - Brasso, here in the UK, is the brand name of a metal polish suitable for brass, copper, stainless steel & chrome (so it says on the tin)... and is available from Candian Tire :)

5. Very nice,
    I have a lot of issues photographing Stainless Steel prints and have needed to polish also to get the results i am almost happy with. I am a perfectionist when photography comes into my work so i am never happy. To this date i have only used flash photography to shoot my models but i am warming to non flash photography for the Stainless Steel prints i think. Your surface preparation looks great.

Leigh

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  6. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    @stop4stuff - Thanks. I had no idea it was here in Canada.

@Leigh - If you're referring to "on the camera" flash that's never a good thing to use, especially for close-ups. Natural light - perhaps a window with a white reflector on the other side can work very well (use a tripod). Flash is good if you have sufficient units and relectors/diffusers to provide lighting without harsh shadows.

Glenn

7. Hey Glenn,
    I have a nice little rig set up specifically for photographing small objects like jewellery with two of camera flash units with soft box attachments ect. I have photographed many different types of objects made from many different materials but every time i shoot the bronze infused Stainless Steal i never feel happy with it. Its like a thorn in my side. If i ever get it to the point that i am happy with i will post the set up for others to use if they wish.

8. stop4stuff
    Cheers Leigh!

I'm lagging in camera technology, I use my ageing Nikon Cool Pix 2000. I have a few tricks for lighting & use a tripod a lot, it's not a bad camera for close up work... today, I just clocked up 8510 total pictures taken with the camera (I know - Keep practicing ;))