My first prints! - Glazed ceramic & BSF

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by berrynaut, Jul 5, 2011.

1. berrynaut
    berrynaut Member
    I have been teaching myself Sketchup, and finally decided to dip my toes into some printing.

First up is a capital 'A" in the glazed ceramic. I found that the glaze had been wiped on the sides in places, which ended up showing the rough surface. I'm thinking for a flat piece like this, a raised foot on the base may have helped prevent this from happening.

letter_02.jpg
    letter_04.jpg
    letter_01.jpg

My second piece is a necklace made from BSF, that says 'Black Tea' and has a pouring teapot at the base. I am over the moon with the result and can't wait to make some more!

necklace01.jpg
    necklace03.jpg

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Great designs! but i dont like how the glazing turned out...

The glazing isn't evenly brushed and it's very thin that you can see the clay .. it looks like a kinder garden project .. :confused

I have to cancel my plan to order in Glazed Ceramics until some one gets this fixed...

3. jeff
    jeff Member
    very fun necklace design. the pouring teapot by itself would make an excellent pendent by itself in one of the metals.

nicely done.

4. berrynaut
    berrynaut Member
    @dizingof - yeah I'm not that keen on the glaze quality either ... there were a few pits on the top as well, so gave a lumpy appearance. I might email customer service and ask if this finish is to be expected or not. I think though, if I had put a raised ridge on the base, whoever wipes the bottoms of the pieces wouldn't have gone over the edge. In saying that though, they could've been a little more careful considering the wait time for ceramics at the moment, I put my order in on the 26th May and received it on the 5th July.
    I do hope Shapeways irons out the kinks with the ceramic, as it has so much potential. At the moment I wouldn't feel comfortable offering anything for sale in it, as the quality seems unpredictable.

Here is the base ... as you can see, it would be better if the majority of it could remain glazed.
    letter_05.jpg

5. Hey,
    I love this letter A. It makes me think of really expensive tiles you would see in bathrooms of very elaborate buildings. I really like tiles when used in this way. Looking at this makes me want to design a custom tile renovation or something. Not sure if that was what you were going for but i love what i see.

6. ChristelM
    ChristelM Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi Sharon,

We have already been in contact which each other about this and I have already created a complaint out of this for you.

I will keep you informed by email.

Kindly,
    Christel
    Customer Service Agent
    Shapeways