LEGO Boba Fett Minifigure

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by mingles, Jun 27, 2011.

1. mingles
    mingles Member
    Hey guys! I've just received the Boba Fett Minifigure I had designed for my Higher Graphic Communication folio. Everything here moves nicely. I will probably have a Stop-Motion animation of it up soon!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The Minifigure - http://shpws.me/1mI1
    The Helmet - http://shpws.me/1sol

2. Very nice! Looks great as is but are you thinking about painting it?
    Great work, well done.

3. mingles
    mingles Member
    Thanks! I don't think I'll be painting it no :) I had it made to go with my folio and considering I already have the original model, I'll probably just keep it as it is!

4. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    It literally looks perfect. Job well done! Could we tempt you to upload a blank lego man in .obj format so we could run amok on the base of your hard work? :p

I'm just playing with yah, great work. Brings out the fun side of things.

5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    You can download the library of LEGO parts from LDraw.org and convert them from their native .dat format to .dxf format with Dat2DXF, and then convert to .obj with something like Accutrans3D.

Nowhere near as much fun as making your own from scratch though - nice one M1NGLES [​IMG]

6. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Oh wow, I didn't think Lego would allow that. Pretty neat actually.

7. Hi :)

I was really wondering if you printed the lego man all at once. Or did you print the independent part and put it together yourself?

Thanks

8. Silverbeam
    Silverbeam Well-Known Member
    ditto to the above question and is that transparent material or the new frosted detail?

9. Silverbeam
    Silverbeam Well-Known Member

I can't get that to work for me... :(

10. mingles
    mingles Member
    It was printed in one file then assembled. I offset the parts so there was no risk of solids interlinking and being stuck. It however would be possible to print it off with all the pieces in place providing the Frosted Ultra Detail (Which is what this is printed in) could handle a 0.01mm gap between the parts!

Cheers,

Michael

11. Hi Michael

Thanks for your response :)

Just to make sure that I understand. you printed all the pieces at once but not connected and then assembled them?

Also, regarding your comment: "It however would be possible to print it off with all the pieces in place providing the Frosted Ultra Detail (Which is what this is printed in) could handle a 0.01mm gap between the parts!"

I was thinking about that. It seems that in order to have friction in the minifigure, LEGO made the dimension of the arms (for example) larger than the hole it fits in to on the body. in that case, the printer will always recognize it as one solid piece... Right? :rolleyes:
    I could decrease the tolerances, but then I would lose the "functionality" of the arms, hands, and legs...

Any thoughts about that? :)

Thanks in advance! ;)

12. 18614_deleted
    18614_deleted Member
    If you check the turnaround on his minifigure link, you'll see that's exactly what he did. :)

This is hilarious, though, I'm waiting for a print of a LEGO set that I built up in Sketchup, and I'd never heard of LDraw before. Would have saved me some time here and there, now I'm kind of kicking myself. :laughing: