Inexpensive post production techniques

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by 35653_deleted, Jun 21, 2011.

1. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    I see a lot of people here doing amazing things with dyes, casting, painting, metal plating, etc, but unfortunately a lot of those things are beyond my resources at the moment because of time and budget concerns. Thus, I've been experimenting with inexpensive, quick methods of post production to spiff up my models (and hopefully start racking up some more sales so I can afford to try more things). Everything I use is stuff I just have lying around the house, instead of having to go out and buy new materials.

First, I figured I'd take advantage of WSF's thirsty nature, so I messed around with some old markers I had lying around. I got a really good result on my wings ring using nothing more than a couple of coats from gold and silver metallic paint pens, then a coat of clear nail polish as a sealant.

wingsring.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the pictures, my camera is on the fritz and I was more focused on just getting the pictures than getting a really good picture.

2. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    I've had good luck with tea dying in the past, so I tried coffee dying on my Tree Earrings in transparent detail. I did a quick sand with 2000 grit sandpaper I had leftover in order to get rid of the print lines then just stuck them in a cup of coffee for a day and a half.

teatreeearrings.JPG

I am hoping to find a way to fill in the trees with a dark color so they stand out more, but if I can't find it, I think it looks pretty good as-is.

If you have any questions, comments, or on-the-cheap techniques to share, please do!

3. 31665_deleted
    31665_deleted Member
    Ohh that ring looks good, is it WSF or alumide? it looks like alumide!

4. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    WSF. it is the silver pen that makes the band look like alumide

5. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    Yeah, the silver metallic pen made it look almost exactly like alumide, I'll do a comparison pic between the colored ring and an alumide one after I get my camera working again.

6. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    I remember making natural dyes with berries or flowers when I was a kid. Does anyone know if those will hold in Nylon?

7. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Not yet, but I am intend to find out one day, if and when things slow down a bit.

My first attempts will be with "Macleaya" a plant from the garden. It's sap turn really bright orange when exposed to air and it stains like nothing I have ever seen before (also on plastic and stuff)

I was also perhaps thinking beet juice and or Rubus idaeus/Red raspberry would be nice.

And I might just dip some parts in concentrated tomato sauce or mustard ;)

Actually I'm hoping this will work with home printed PLA too, as that would make for 100% natural prints ;)

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Yep, tea-dying works great. This White Detail was soaked in tea overnight(?) and then sprayed with an acrylic gloss.

View attachment 9893

9. Wow this looks great. Such a nice color and with the gloss it looks a world away from WSF. Very cool

10. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    mmm.... pretzels ;)

very cool indeed Lensman!

11. lensman
    A pretzel pendant - there's an idea!.... bet someone's already done it here!

Glenn

12. lensman
    Actually, it was White Detail... but even so it does look very different.

Glenn