Cease and Desist, Copyrights - What do you want to know? (updated!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by baltimore, Jun 12, 2011.

1. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    Paramount Pictures's lawyers sent me a cease and desist letter on Friday for a model I uploaded on Thursday night, and told me to take it down. It was a replica white funky cube shaped object from their new movie. I complied. I don't want to sit in a courtroom for the rest of the year. This is an interesting topic for discussion.

This is the rendering Shapeways produced from the .stl file I uploaded of the CAD model I created which looks similar to the prop used in Paramount's film. I am no longer offering these for sale, and am complying with Paramount's demands.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  2. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    well they are watching this website very well!
    uploading a file and getting a cease and desist letter the next day!

3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    very interesting topic

How did you come by this design? is it a work in progress as a new movie? or is the movie out already?

Strange... i have a similar model i uploaded on April 15th this year
    (actually its from last year - i re opened my shop on April)

[​IMG]

I wonder if i should send them a cease and desist ? :cool:

4. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    Their film came out Friday in the states, and their trailer was released several months ago.

5. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    title? link?

very interesting.

lot's of props are on shapeways...

6. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    @Todd wow. Well, it's interesting to say the least.

Guys, please be sure to keep me and the rest of the SW team up to date on these sorts of things.

7. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
  8. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    Totally will.

Duann and I skyped about it on Friday

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  9. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    @Todd Yep, and Duann filled me in. I was just moreso reiterating it for everyone in the communty. ;)

@Jettuh Guess so. Well done.

10. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I never even noticed that in the preview. Is it just me or is it different? The glimpse I saw of it, I thought it didn't have the corner cubes.

11. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    some do some don't. I think the hero prop has them broken off.

12. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    That sure was quick. :eek:

I was going to see the movie anyway, so I'll have to look out for this... whatever it is.

Glenn

13. baltimore
    baltimore Member
  14. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    OK, that is a great video, thanks for showing us exactly how you got it to vibrate :)

15. baltimore
    baltimore Member
  16. Wow,
    Impressive speed! This is an interesting subject as shapeways has obviously caught the attention of big franchise. I wonder though how much the opposite is happening? I am unaware if this has been posted on the forum before but Urban Outfitters ripped of an indie designer (not shapeways related) and started selling the design as their own. This designer obviously could not afford to take legal action so instead they blogged about it and the support from the web was so strong that Urban Outfitters stopped selling the design. I feel that copyright and design protection is a little bit of a gray area perhaps, or not fully matured yet regarding digital file 3D printing? I was happy to read about this little win for an indie designer. Read more here. http://www.ashevillefashions.com/2011/05/boycott-urban-outfi tters-for-ripping-off-indie-designers.html

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  17. jeff
    jeff Member
    i also saw this article covering the Urban outfitters -etsy ripoff, and it just goes to prove that there are very few original ideas. it's a tricky debate of who owns what.

Personally in this case of todd's vibrating cube, I'd want him to post it unless paramount is selling or planning on selling something similar themselves. If it's not available anywhere else the community should have a right to make something available. (i feel similarly about media pirating, if I can get it easily/legally then I'll go for that, if not but it's available by other means then...) But on top of that, I don't think the community has the right to profit off of someone else's proprietary design, it should just be made available for free. that's all just my opinion on an interesting topic.

18. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    QMx Quantum Mechanix Inc has a license from Paramount to produce the super 8 replicas and they'll be doing that this summer

19. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
  20. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member