Hyphae Lamps and a new larger Seed Lamp

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by nervoussystem, May 19, 2011.

1. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem Member
    These arrived before ICFF but I didn't have a chance to post until now. Each Hyphae lamp is one of a kind and we will do a series of them. So far we printed two only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also created a much larger version of our Seed lamp which we designed last August.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really satisfied with the shadows cast by the lamps. I grabbed this cell phone shot showing the result of the Seed Lamp in our living room.

[​IMG]

2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Wow :)

just

Wow :)

3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Beautiful !

4. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Wow! :eek:
    Looks like you pulled it right out of the ocean and put a light bulb in it, just amazing....

5. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Yeah, I got to hang out next to these lamps at ICFF for 3 days straight. It was pretty awesome. :)

6. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Dare I ask, how big is "much larger" ?
    I saw the original Seed lamp at DDW and it's not exactly small.. ;)

7. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem Member
    re: Virtox

It's ~27cm in diameter, original was ~18. The increase in volume is actually quite dramatic

The hyphae lamps are ~
    Height 13.3 cm
    Width 13.5 cm
    Depth 19.0 cm

but use a lot less material

8. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    As always, your work is very impressive!

Lincoln

9. Those are just gorgeous!

Will you or your lamps be at RAPID next week? I am planning on going, and would love to see these in person.

10. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem Member
    thanks for all the positive feedback people!

we are not going to be at RAPID. But it's a pretty fun show, I hope you enjoy it. We'll be at home recovering from ICFF

11. rubyscooby
    rubyscooby Member
    Wow these are beautiful!

12. henryseg
    henryseg Well-Known Member
    Very cool stuff. The seed lamp: it looks like two algorithms run at different scales (one for the large scale wrinkles, and another for the small scale porous structure). Presumably the large scale wrinkles algorithm run before the small scale algorithm?

I'm reminded of some 2d multiscale Turing patterns by Jonathan McCabe:

http://gallery.bridgesmathart.org/single-artist?uid=jonathan mccabe

He runs algorithms at multiple different scales, but not in a fixed order. Instead, at each step it runs at the scale which has the least contrast, the aim being to make all scales have visual interest. He's got a paper about the algorithms here:

http://www.jonathanmccabe.com/Cyclic_Symmetric_Multi-Scale_T uring_Patterns.pdf

I wonder if something like this could be done in 3d, running algorithms simultaneously at different scales?