3D print in paper

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Brandroid, May 13, 2011.

1. Brandroid
    Brandroid Member
    Mcor Technologies makes a 3D printer that uses standard reams of office paper as the build medium. This is probably most exciting to me because of the very low cost to print in this medium. Is there any chance of this technology coming to Shapeways anytime soon?

2. simonbrblue
    simonbrblue Member
    The low price would be great for printing larger parts even if the finished detail and smoothness wouldn't be good enough for small parts. This is one thing that shapeways now lacks (after introducing the fine detail of FUD) - a cheap material for large models.

3. 15630_deleted
    15630_deleted Member
    Just saw the video of this printer, and I'm also hoping that Shapeways considers this technique... it actually might make me print some big stuff :)

4. 98442_deleted
    98442_deleted Member
    I really hope they get one as well :p

5. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    It looks an interesting technique, but the material cost is only one small part of the total cost of someone like Shapeways producing a 3-d item and dispatching it to you.

You may not see the savings you expect !

BTW is it just my computer or is the text on their website virtually impossible to read?

6. Seems to me something like that would be more practical as a home-based 3D printer for mock-ups and such. I daresay someone with the ingenuity and know-how could probably build such a thing themselves relatively easily.

Very cool stuff.

7. SIXTHSCALE
    SIXTHSCALE Member
    it would be awesome for shapeways to offer this!!!!

8. ianjohnson
    ianjohnson Member
    Just wanted to bump this. Mcor is has changed their business plan. They will lease their printer for a flat fee that includes all material and maintenance. For what amounts to about $1100/mo, you get the printer and unlimited blades, adhesive, paper and maintenance.

I wouldn't expect post processing to cost any more than what is already typical for the cheaper materials and shapeways. It's just peeling paper, no equipment required. Even accounting for general overhead and markup, I would think the Matrix would be able to offer a per/cm3 cost quite a bit lower than Sandstone.

9. duann
    duann Member
    Hey Ian,

Looks interesting, has anyone tried these 3D prints?

Do you have a link?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  10. ianjohnson
    ianjohnson Member
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011