Army of FUD!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by CGD, May 13, 2011.

1. CGD
    CGD Member
    Received a huge package today, of my test batch of FD and FUD.

My preliminary observation is that FUD is clearer yellowish. FD is cloudy/frosted. The material is strange, I won't call it flexible, but soft so that you can bend it. But not like WSF's "spring back to original position" kind of flexible. Some thin parts are actually brittle. My tiny soldiers keep breaking apart. They are in FUD. If Shapeways can have a material with quality of FUD but strength of White detail, that would be good enough for me.

Here are some of the items, and some quick painting test. Models in 1:144. FUD in the left of the photo, FD on the right. The pin is for scale, which measures 38mm or 1.5 in in length.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are two models spray painted with one coat of Tamiya fine primer. The FD clearly shows layering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    Very nice results!
    Seems that even the smallest details survived.

The painted version looks great! Hard to believe it´s such a small scale model.

3. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    The fourth picture down I can see the results between the two materials most clearly, loving the FUD. I can even see the difference in detail between the primered pieces. Very, very nice.

4. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Wow these are amaing results!

5. JamieMcBride
    JamieMcBride Member
    Thanks for the photos and write up. Primered FUD looks v. nice. Lovely model.

6. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Those are awesome! I'm really excited to see some results on FUD/FD which look like they're up to par.

7. CGD
    CGD Member
    I found that the material is quite brittle. If they can be a bit tougher like White Detail, that would be perfect. :D

CGD

8. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Think thats cause of the thickness!?
    I've got a train here with 1mm thickness and it's really solid and not brittle at all!

Please show us the pictures when you painted the models!

9. CGD
    CGD Member
    I only managed to finished painting some soldiers so far (as posted in: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=5237&a mp;start=0&
    TankCrewDepot001-5S.jpg
    TankCrewDepot006-10S.jpg

Some were broken during shipment, the damage rate is much higher than the usual materials. And some were broken during painting. I got some tank gun barrels broken in shipment too. Dropped one on the floor and it shattered. :confused
    broken.jpg

10. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Wow, amazing!

But the question to this is:
    is the damage rate it worth?

or do you think you better can use other material?

A big plus is (i guess) that you can use these as master models for resin?

SO you just need a few of the masters wich aren't damaged, and then give them a resin bath and duplicate them for just a few $

11. CGD
    CGD Member
    The chief worry I have is shipping of the painted products to my own customers. Will they break during transit and how durable when the customers play with them.

I guess using them as master for a more durable resin cast is possible but some of the figures will need to be redesigned to prevent undercuts.

The great thing about being able to use this directly from the 3D printer is that I don't have to worry about the undercuts when making molds. I can make the figures as natural as real person poses.

The cost for each figure right now is quite okay actually, because they occupy so little volume.

12. suslovm
    suslovm Member
    print it out on my DIY printer
    DSCN9068.jpg
    world of tanks diy miniature IS-1 tank. 3d printed mini model.jpg