Phone Kiosks

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by stop4stuff, May 4, 2011.

1. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Whilst waiting for some Frosted Ultra and Frosted details models to arrive, I've been working on another 'little' project aimed at only being printable in Ultra Frosted Detail.

Our beloved UK GPO red telephone boxes in OO (1:76, 4mm) scale :)

The first is my version of the 'K8'. Originally introduced in 1968, the K8 was commonplace all over the British Isles.

To follow will be K6 (1936-on), K2 & K4 (1926-on), the K4 was a 'Post Office' version incorporating postage stamp vending machines and post box, and the K1 (1921-on)... all with ultra fine detail and aimed at serious diorama ethusiasts.

[edit] fixed link - thanks Magic & YouKnowWho ;)

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Your link is broken, Need to send Dr. Who to fix it.

3. stop4stuff
    Thanks, fixed the link now... British Police Telephone box (ala Dr. Who) will be in the pipeline too :)

4. stop4stuff
    K6 well under way - just the internals & door handle to add :)

5. stop4stuff
  6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Righteous dude! (Just saw Bill and Teds Bogus Journey this weekend)

7. White Strong & Flexible Polished! :eek:

I was going to ask you about that, but then saw the blog post. Looks sweet!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Already done... :cool:

TARDIS at 5cm

tardis 5cm.jpg

9. stop4stuff
    That looks neat lensman, I'll still be doing one for OO scale though ;)

And a little progress update.

Work on the standard 1926 K2 is well under way... just the internals & door handle to add (when I can find images of what the 1920's internals looked like).

k2-sw-image.jpg

10. lensman
    What size would these be in OO scale? Sorry, I don't normally model to scales. I know I had a helluva problem with the details on mine and only re-opened it for sale when the FUD materials were released.

Glenn

11. stop4stuff
    My phone kiosks, so far, range from 33mm to 37mm tall and just about 1:76 give or take the odd 1/10th mm here or there... I've gotten hold of 1/2 scale drawings for the Dr who style Police Telephone Box, but have yet to extrapolate the sizes to OO scale... I'd imagine it'd come in at 36-40mm tall... fwiw, so far my kiosks are designed around overall dimensions and photos found on the internet, e.g. most of the K2 detail came from this image

:)

12. lensman
    Yeah, you might want to take a look at the fine details at that size, depending on your material, of course.

Glenn

13. stop4stuff
    The details should come in at the spec for Frosted Ultra Detail, nothing is smaller than 0.1mm - whether the details work or not is yet to be seen.

14. lensman
    Cool. Nice designs, by the way. I can appreciate the work you did knowing how much time I spent on the TARDIS.... it looked so easy!

Glenn

15. stop4stuff

As i've been making these, I've improved my techniques, each one has taken some 16-20 hours with the K2 detailing being the most complicated so far, but today I perfected a method of making the domed roof integrate with the side walls.

Whilst looking about for info on the tardis type box, i found a paper in pdf format, The Police Signal Box: A 100 Year History - Police phone boxes date back to 1891 :eek:

16. stop4stuff

From the 1/2 scale blueprints (The Blue Box Project), the Tardis (full size) is 97 inches tall and on a 54 inch square base (2464 H x 1372 W x 1372 D mm) - OO scale size brings that down to 32.4 H x 18 W x 18 D mm

Other sites give other dimensions for the Tardis, including http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=24.0 where original BBC props drwaings are to be found!

Another bonus with the Police box is that a local friend used to be in the Metropolitan Police force and has an original key that I can replicate :)

Update on the K2 - As it happens, the internals of the K6 were taken from the K2 and about the only differences were a subtle change in the shape and material of the telephone. The original phone was aluminium and had slightly concave sides compared to the later phone made from bakelite with straight sides. The dial on the phones were different colour, but essentially the same design.

17. lensman
    Interesting. Isn't it amazing what stuff can be dug up on the Weird Wacky World ?

Glenn

18. stop4stuff
  19. 80931_deleted
    80931_deleted Member

Would you consider doing the K6 in 7mm scale (1:43.5)?

I would love one.

20. stop4stuff
    I've upscaled the OO version - you can find it here - I've set it to 'hidden' for now, so only available through the link - in frosted detail, the model may be a little brittle, but should be stronger in frosted ultra detail.