Companion Cube

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 16672_deleted, Apr 30, 2011.

1. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    It's been too long since I made anything.

From Portal 2, 10x10x10cm... It's partly an excuse to learn how to set up my own LED contraptions. Probably going to end up with blue LEDs inside to shine on frosted detail windows...

Will frosted detail work as a light filter like I'm hoping it will?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 7777773
    7777773 Member
    Transparent detail will, and I suspect frosted detail will as well, with more diffuse light transmission.

I like your design, and would order one for myself when (if) you make it available.

3. Sparlin
    Sparlin Member
    There's no real way you can sell this item due to copyright; the design belongs to Valve.

In fact, there are a couple of objects for sale on Shapeways which probably shouldn't be on there, and I'd be worried for those who are selling them; some companies can be quite aggressive when pursuing copyright breakers!

4. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    I didn't say I'm selling it. It wouldn't be copyright infringement if I were to make a papercraft one to put on my desk, same thing with Shapeways.

I haven't looked through Shapeways stores; are people really selling game/movie models?

5. Sparlin
    Sparlin Member
    I didn't mean that you would be breaking copyright just by printing it for yourself; only if you sell it.

Searching for companion cube, for example, brings up around 100 of said item all for sale.

6. 7777773
    7777773 Member
    Hmm, you make a good point.

I still love the design! would you mind if I duplicate it? For myself only, of course! I think interchangeable centers with an illuminated aperture logo or hearts, depending on the mood, would look nice. Love the idea of illuminating the cube.

7. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    Not at all. If you're asking for my model, I'm not finished with it yet and it's a little different now from what it was (no bottom window, it's part of the base). Still working on some kind of mount for the circuit board and LEDs too.

8. 82730_deleted
    82730_deleted Member
    Looks great! what software are you using?

I'm actually making one from Portal 1 in 3DSMax2009 myself at the moment... I knocked the first version out pretty quickly, then after staring at it for a minute, I wasn't happy with it so I spent way more time than I should have tweaking vertices to make it look right =)

Thoughts?
    [​IMG]