Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 65166_deleted, Apr 28, 2011.

1. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Going to use this post in the thread to keep a running list of features/bugs/ideas listed in this thread.

* Firefox integration for the Draw Your Own feature (currently only works in Chrome)
    * Option to select mm & meters as measurements
    * Translating Grayscale to Z-Height (this will be a longer term thing)
    * Base plate--round base plate?
    * Base plate--that conforms to the outline of the picture
    * When you upload an image, it gives the user a preview of the image
    * Beveling options

Fixed
    * Thin wall issues for .1 inch models (2.5 mm)

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  3. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    The sort algorithm on the new cocreator platform page is not working correctly. This becomes very obvious when you try to sort by "Product name" or "Price", but the error is certainly also there with the other sort criteria.

For comparison, a supposedly more correct sort algorithm is implemented on the gallery page (check the "show personalize your own" checkbox)

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I am conversant with inch to mm conversion (1 inch = 25.4mm) and have a calculator to hand, however, when I choose 0.1 inches as the height (0.1 inch = 1/10 inch = 2.54mm) the model is rejected for being too small as it is only 2.2mm tall :(

The dimensions reported in the email are different to what I entered. (1) = 1 inch, (2) = 0.1 (3) no back

Code:
    Your design is too small!

The size is 2.54 x 2.34 x 0.22 cm / 0.98 x 0.91 x 0.08 inch (h x w x d). We can only produce products larger than 0.24 x 0.24 x 0.24 cm / 0.09 x 0.09 x 0.09 inch (h x w x d). Please rescale it to make it larger.

5. writerwolf
    writerwolf Member
    Having the same issues, I keep getting rejected at around the .1" thickness level :/

WriterWolf

6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    How about an option to bevel or round the base plate?

I just noticed.. are we going to get thin wall rejections from these?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  7. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Suggestion: take the uploaded images and automatically add it to the model's detail page.

8. stop4stuff
    That might leave a design open to being all too easily copied.

Along the same lines though, have the image displayed after upload on the Image Popper page (so we know we have the right image ;))

9. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Very interesting, thanks for letting us know. I will ask the dev team about this and start working on this.

10. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Ah that's an issue with the bounding box check and not with the creator. I think that maybe bounding box limited was placed before we started. I will look into this and see if we can lower it to a more reasonable limit.

Thanks!

11. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    I've thought about this actually.

Re: Bevel, beveling is tricky because the way blender does it it creators conflicting shells (around corners, like in the letter W). The current script in the backend can actually handle beveling (shh), but the feature was taken out until we can get the shell issue sorted.

Re: round base plate--that's a great idea! I was thinking about how to make a base plate that is just surrounds the image. So if you submitted a triangle design, you would get a triangle base. But I think that's more difficult to script.. the round one might be a good alternative and easier to script!!

12. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Ah! I think we can swing something like that. Have you tried running this in Chrome? In Chrome there's a special Draw your own feature that shows you the image you drew after you finish drawing. Something like that perhaps?

13. 65258_deleted
    65258_deleted Member
    I've got this in our bug list now. This uses the same components used elsewhere on the site, so the cause is not immediately apparent, but we are on the case.

-Ben

14. Silverbeam
    Silverbeam Well-Known Member
    It's kinda fun! Although We'll see if I can print some of the things I "popped" put as some of them have thin tendrils....

Also why does it say not for sale on the shop page?
    I wish I could make it thinner as well.

If it had max thick/ size and minimum size right there on the creator page it would be helpful as well.

15. 65258_deleted
    65258_deleted Member
    It's set as private by default, but you can change it to become for-sale on the product's page.

In the right column, scroll down until you see the header "Model availability" and then check the box labeled "available to all". Under the header "Model view state", select the option reading "Show and allow ordering".

16. Silverbeam
    Silverbeam Well-Known Member
    ah.... I see, I missed that somehow when I looked it over. thanks

17. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    By the way, thin wall issues are fixed. :) Enjoy!

18. vecna42
    vecna42 Member
    I'm just confused as to why I'm not receiving any feedback once my files have "successfully" uploaded. I assume successfully, since the Popper takes the image and replies that I'll receive an email with next steps. However, that email never shows up. This has happened twice.

Is the image uploading, being examined, and then failing, and the system just isn't letting me know?

Perplexed.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  19. stop4stuff
    Hi vecna42,

You should get two emails regardless, the first 'Thanks for uploading a model' and the second, either 'Your model became printable' or 'There was a problem with your model'

A couple of things to check out, spam filter settings - if you can put Shapeways on your white (allowed) list also check you email address is correct in your profile - you can find this by clicking on 'My Shapeways' at the top of every page.

Hope this helps,
    Paul

20. vecna42
    vecna42 Member
    Thanks for the followup, Paul. E-mail address is just fine -- I receive the Shapeways newsletters, and even got the ping when you replied to my message. ;) But nothing from the Popper. I'll try again today, but I'm not expecting different results.