silver glossy scarab pendant

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by dadrummond, Apr 27, 2011.

1. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    Just received a print of my scarab pendant in Silver Glossy. Superb results: all the details, plus the silky smooth shininess that I've been hoping for from the very first print. Check it out.

scarab-mini-silver-top-700x519.jpg
    scarab-mini-silver-side-700x519.jpg
    scarab-mini-silver-bottom-700x519.jpg

Shapeways, printers, polishers: incredible job! I'm deeply impressed.

2. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Spectacular!

Lincoln

3. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Awesome!

4. vaclavmazany
    vaclavmazany Member
    This one is really awesome !

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Is the gold look from the lighting?

6. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    Mostly lighting, though the silver has a hint of gold, like most real silver -- think good old sterling silverware.

7. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    Whatever the tint is from, it makes it look doubly gorgeous. Impressive result here! I wish I could afford something in silver... Heh, maybe after a few more shop sales...

8. ao2design
    ao2design Member
    One of the coolest pieces ever...

9. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Yes, this is definitively one of the most perfect objects I ever seen here. The model is perfect. The aspect is perfect.
    Very professionnal. Congrats.

10. 27479_deleted
    27479_deleted Member
    I made a picture of it as well when we were going to ship it, shall I share it? :D

11. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    By all means, share a photo! (My photography studio for these pictures was a piece of paper with a ring of packing foam around it to diffuse the light.)

I'm so thankful for the comments; they really are too nice! Made my month.

There's still a few things I want to change about the model which are specific to the silver process. To compensate for slumping and deformation during the polishing process of the direct-metal prints, I left larger gaps between the wing covers than one would like. The silver process (wax print, lost-wax cast) appears, at least in this one example, to produce a dimensionally faithful model, with big gaps, so the compensation now looks like a design flaw.

This sort of problem has probably cropped up in other people's models as well. It may be possible to design a model that works well for both DMP and lost-wax. However, a silver-specific model seems the easiest solution.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  12. 27479_deleted
    27479_deleted Member
    Here they are!

Attached Files:

13. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    Thanks, Maartje! Super-cool of you to take these. The side views came out particularly nicely. And the leaf photos give me some ideas... :)

14. 27479_deleted
    27479_deleted Member
    Your welcome :cool:

15. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    @dadrummond I included your scarab in the "Cool Models" section of this month's Community Newsletter. Congrats on a gorgeous design. :)

16. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    Thank you so much!