Product Inventory Problems

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by WillLaPuerta, Apr 24, 2011.

1. WillLaPuerta
    WillLaPuerta Well-Known Member
    I'm really getting sick of the product inventory manager. Nine times out of ten it doesn't even finish loading and just stalls out. Now I'm stuck having to set all the prices the hard way, one at a time. Am I the only one having this problem?

2. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Oskar_van_Deventer Well-Known Member
    I have the same problem. With 100+ items in my shop, it takes a few minutes to lead and another few minutes to save. Saving has gone wrong several times.

3. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    with over 200 the product inventory waists so much time. i have asked shapeways to give me access through there api so i can write a better one.

4. TomZ
    TomZ Member
    My life would be so much easier if the interface just showed public (and perhaps also hidden) models - it would save much frustration looking through my 200 models to find the 20 or so that are actually available to customers. Of course I should clean up, but it seems hacking in to Shapeways' servers and making that change myself would be more time-efficient. :laughing:

5. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    Can I add a "me too" here

I've got about 240 models in my shop now and it is going far too slow to use.

The only way I've been able to use it recently is to start up a Firefox session for this alone and leave it running in the background while I do other things - I use Chrome as my main browser.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  6. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    I don't have nearly that many models in my shop, but the inventory manager runs quite slow for me as well. I almost hesitate to expand my shop because of the difficulty in handling everything.

7. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    When I load the page, I always got 2 or 3 alert messages from my system (Windows 7 / IE 8 ) saying that there is a script that is taking all the resources and asking if i want to stop it... Until now I have resisted and answered no, but...

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Ew you use IE? lol I haven't used the product manager in a while. Been thinking over my business model, and no time to implement any ideas as of yet. (every now and then I'll make 10 cents as that's what I set most of my mark-ups to while reorganizing) Just opened it up to check it out. Opens fine, but is sluggish and gives me a clue as to why. I can scroll down, and everything moves except the products. They take a little while to scroll. Perhaps shapeways should make the images lower res for the inventory manager, or as I've suggested before, have an option to have no image.

9. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Yes, I am quite old-fashioned... :)

By the way, puting a window with a scrollbar within a window with a scrollbar is the guarantee to get a total mess.
    scrollbars.jpg
    And, as you can see in the screenshot, the second scroll bar is completly useless because there is nothing under the internal window (well there is some garbage actually, let's say there is nothing useful...).

10. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    it is even worse on my tablet PC. with the on screen keyboard active I can not see all parts that are necessary.

Also what is with doing everything by ajax. when ever possible things should be done locally. there is no reason to do ajax call to calculate the sum of cost+profit. Also your script should reivaluate the field values before submitting as some times the value your system thinks the filed says is not what it actually says.

Some usefull functions:

Code:
    // Browser Window Size and Position
    // copyright Stephen Chapman, 3rd Jan 2005, 8th Dec 2005
    // you may copy these functions but please keep the copyright notice as well
    function pageWidth() {
      return window.innerWidth != null? window.innerWidth : document.documentElement && document.documentElement.clientWidth ?       document.documentElement.clientWidth : document.body != null ? document.body.clientWidth : null;
    }
    function pageHeight() {
      return  window.innerHeight != null? window.innerHeight : document.documentElement && document.documentElement.clientHeight ?  document.documentElement.clientHeight : document.body != null? document.body.clientHeight : null;
    }
    function posLeft() {
      return typeof window.pageXOffset != 'undefined' ? window.pageXOffset :document.documentElement && document.documentElement.scrollLeft ? document.documentElement.scrollLeft : document.body.scrollLeft ? document.body.scrollLeft : 0;
    }
    function posTop() {
      return typeof window.pageYOffset != 'undefined' ?  window.pageYOffset : document.documentElement && document.documentElement.scrollTop ? document.documentElement.scrollTop : document.body.scrollTop ? document.body.scrollTop : 0;
    }
    function posRight() {
      return posLeft()+pageWidth();
    }
    function posBottom() {
      return posTop()+pageHeight();
    }

and the proper way to do virtual frames:

css:
    Code:
     body{
      margin:0;
      padding:<? echo HEADER_HEIGHT; ?>px 0 0px <? echo LEFT_WIDTH; ?>px;
     }
     div#header{
      position:absolute;
      top:0;
      left:<? echo LEFT_WIDTH; ?>px;
      width:500%;
      height:<? echo HEADER_HEIGHT; ?>px;
     }
      div#innerheader{
      left:0;
      width:<? echo TABLE_ROW_WIDTH; ?>px;
      height:100%;
     }
     div#left-sidebar{
      width:<? echo LEFT_WIDTH; ?>px;
      height:<? echo TABLE_COLUMN_HEIGHT; ?>px;
     }
      div#innerleft-sidebar{
      width:100%;
     }
     @media screen{
      body>div#header{
       position:fixed;
      }
      body>div#left-sidebar{
      }
      body>div#footer{
      }
     }
     * html body{
      overflow:hidden;
     } 
     * html div#content{
      overflow:auto;
     }

HTML:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    <html>
    <body id="body">
      <div id="header">
        <div id="innerheader">
          Place top row here
        </div>
      </div>
      <div id="left-sidebar">
        <div id="innerleft-sidebar">
          Place left column here
        </div>
      </div>
      <div id="content">
        Place rest of table here
      </div>
    <body>
    </html>

with this method only 1 bar will be seen. It will fit the page no mater the size and you can move the inner divs around without generating scroll bars to give the same effect as you have now. Please note I used some inline PHP to setup the table dimensions. You need to define the constants in your code.

11. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Totally agree to all statements above.
    Ecspecially the scroll bars and the not automatic sizing of the windows makes me crazy. Hope you get rid of it ...

Woody64

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  12. 65258_deleted
    65258_deleted Member
    This is one of the worst pages on our site right now. We're redesigning it with the idea to re-create the page in a usable fashion, as soon as we wrap up a few priority projects. It should happen in a couple of weeks.

-Ben