I'm branching out!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by vertigopolka, Apr 22, 2011.

1. vertigopolka
    vertigopolka Member
    Just received my print of my tree-like model. It's about 3 inches (7.5 cm).

It is a solid piece generated with a single mathematical expression using the implicit surfaces filter in MeshLab.

I've also made two additional versions that have more "branches" and have been hollowed out to reduce the volume. The outside shells on those two were made using MeshLab's uniform mesh resampling filter.

And just sent in for a test print in Frosted Ultra Detail of a bushier hollow "tree" model with a wall thickness of .35mm. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

The model page can be viewed here: Implicit Surface C at Vertigo Polka.

VP-implicit-c1-tree.jpg

VP-implicit-c1-tree-side.jpg

VP-implicit-c1-tree-side2.jpg

2. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    @vertigopolka, looking good!

I'm excited to see everyeone's posts showing off new Frosted Detail and frosted Ultra Detail pieces. Be sure to share. :)

3. vertigopolka
    vertigopolka Member
    I'll definitely post pics as soon as I get my FUD prints back.

4. These mathematical models are fascinating, even more so because I am "mathematically challenged"!

Can you tell me more about the implicit surfaces filter in MeshLab, or point me towards documentation about it?

5. vertigopolka
    vertigopolka Member
    denali3ddesign, this link might be somewhat helpful about implicit surfaces. It at least shows some basic expressions and what happens when you add, subtract or multiply them together. Am afraid that I have a very basic understanding of this and probably can't explain it very well; I just keep plugging in different expressions, altering and combining them in many different ways until I get some interesting results. I'll check into this some more to see if there is more info about using the filter in MeshLab.

Jules Bloomenthal has an introduction to implicit surfaces that might be a little too involved, but the initial paragraphs help explain implicit surfaces, or zero-valued isosurfaces. (It's a PDF.) Implicit Surfaces by Jules Bloomenthal.

6. Thank you for the links, vertigopolka. Bloomenthal explained it brilliantly when he said think of it like a 'drop of dye in water'.

If you don't mind me asking, do you generate the surface in Meshlab? Is there a way to give a surface a certain thickness in Meshlab?

Thanks again!

7. I believe I can answer your question there, denali. I've been lurking in the shadows, reading up on implicit surfaces, and playing around with plugging in random expressions ever since seeing vertigo's awesome results here. I've personally been generating the implicit surfaces directly in MeshLab, using Filters --> Create New Mesh Layer --> Implicit Surface. If you want to thicken a flat surface in MeshLab, the best option I've found would typically be to go to Filters --> Remeshing, Simplification and Reconstruction --> Uniform Mesh Resampling.

From there, just increase the offset percentage by a couple percent and hit apply. The result you may get will probably be pretty blocky, so there may be some settings to tweak here to get it better, but I'm super new to the program and haven't messed with most of it yet. Tossing a Laplacian Smooth (under the Smoothing filters menu) on the result may help things in some cases.

Hope that helps! Most of my random expressions have just created weird disjointed messes, but I have gotten a few cool accidents that have potential, though nothing as nice as vertigo's results.

8. vertigopolka
    vertigopolka Member
    @Happenstance Heroes: Thanks for the additional info! Most of my implicit models are results of cool accidents. I just keep plugging in weird combos until something cool pops up. I go through a ridiculous amount of trial expressions before I get anything usable.

There are a couple of points I think I can add to the steps you mentioned. When I first start experimenting with different expressions using the Implicit Filter in MeshLab, I use a larger voxel size (.1 or .05) until, after many attempts, I finally get some halfway decent results. Then I'll change the voxel size in the implicit filter to a much smaller number, like .01 or .02. This sometimes makes for an extremely large number of faces; sometimes over 4 million, way over Shapeways 1 million limit.

I then usually apply the HC Laplacian Smooth filter a few times. And I'll reduce the number of faces using the Quadric Edge Collapse Decimation filter (in the remeshing filters menu.) Then, like Happenstance Heroes mentioned, I'll add thickness to the implied surface using the Uniform Mesh Resampling filter. In that filter, my settings (as a starting point) are almost always set at around .35% for precision, and 50.5 to 51 for the offset percentage. And that number depends on how large the final model will be printed and how thick I need the walls. I also click on (select) clean vertices, multisample and absolute distance (but not discretize).

Under the view menu, I'll click on Show Layer Dialog. That dialog box will show that I have my original surface (layer) as well as the new layer (the thicker model) created with the Uniform Mesh Resampling filter. I'll delete the original layer before saving it as an STL file. Then I usually open that file in NetFabb to size it correctly and to check the final wall thickness.

9. Wow, thank you Happenstance Heroes and vertigopolka for the info.

I got this after half an hour of playing (Imported into Sketchup for the image shown)...its nothing really worth writing home about, but I couldn't be more pleased about my first mathematically generated geometry! :laughing: Sorry for hijacking your thread, vertigopolka, but I'm too excited not to share.

Now I just have to find time to play! I hope to make something as neat as your model shown above someday...one of these years... :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  10. vertigopolka
    vertigopolka Member
    I tweaked the mathematical formula (for the implicit surface generated in MeshLab) a bit from the original and printed a new model. It's a lot fuller, and has many more "branches," and I've hollowed it out to lessen the total amount of material. This new one's a bit larger also, at 114mm (4.5 inches). Can't wait for an even more detailed, "bushier" model designed for FUD to be delivered.

Here's the new model page: Implicit Tree - 114mm

VP-ImplicitTree-114-side1.jpg

VP-ImplicitTree-114-side2.jpg

VP-ImplicitTree-114-side3.jpg

Top view:
    VP-ImplicitTree-114-top.jpg

Here's the bottom view showing the cut-out:
    VP-ImplicitTree-114-base.jpg