N-Team : Big-nosed A-Team homage

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by LostInBrittany, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Yesterday I received a nice small Shapeways parcel with the first batch of my A-Team inspired miniatures. I posted the digital renders on WIP forum, but now they have arrived I guessed I had to switch to here :)

To put in some context, I sculpt minis with a cartoon look inspired by Spanish comic book artist Cels Piñol, big nosed (narizones) characters. I sculpt both traditionally (green stuff, putty) a and digitally (Blender + 3D printing via Shapeways). My last project is making a series of minis I've called N-Team, a version of the A-Team using my style of cartoon characters.

And here you have the first minis. I'm sorry for the bad quality of the pics, my old cannon doesn't work well with artificial light. I will remake the photos today with good natural light.

[​IMG]

I had a doubt about material. Until now, I had used only WSF. Minis were great, but the rough texture and detail level meant that I had to do lots post production work, and they weren't well suited for RTV moulding to get resin or lead masters usable for industrial casting.

As I want to get my some of my minis (not these N-Team project) into commercial metal models, I need to try other alternatives. People tell me to try other rapid prototyping services, but before I wanted to see is Shapeways' White Detail material could be the solution to my problem.

So I ordered some samples of Barracus and Hannibal is both WSF and white detail.

Here the WSF miniatures :

narizones_n-team_wsf-01-512px.jpg

And here the mnis printed in White Detail :

narizones_n-team_detail-01-512px.jpg

I've printed minis in two scales, 20mm and 26mm. Those in the front are the 20mm ones.

Better images soon ;)

2. As promised, here you hace some pics taken with better light. I hope you
    find quality better than before...

[​IMG]

In the two next pics, the mini on the left is made in WSF, and that on the right
    is printed un WD. You can go to flickr to see the comparison in details.

[​IMG]

As I told you, these were the first WD minis I ordered, until now I had
    printed only in WSF. I wanted to see if WD detail and texture was good
    enough to use the minis for mould making and then casting.

[​IMG]

But as today Shapeways has presented their new frosted ultra detail material, way better (at least in theory)
    than WD, I think I must print some minis in that stuff before taking a decision... ;)

3. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Very cool, A-team was my fav show growing up as a kid.
    Your style reminds me of the army ant toys I had a few of growing as a kid in the 80's.
    https://www.x-entertainment.com/updates/pics/am2007/am2/1.jpg

I would be greatly interested in seeing/hearing your thoughts about the new Frosted Ultra Detail vs White Detail. Seems like it is awesome but I am wondering just how much better due to the higher cost. Some of the larger monster size minis I would print would cost 200$+ in Frosted Ultra. I really am excited over FUD though, seems like the perfect material I've been waiting for Shapeways to deliver to finally print out castable smooth quality miniatures. Actually heck, the picture Shapeways provided on the FD/FUD page pretty much show the difference between .2 & .1mm detail. Snap, gotta go with FUD despite cost!

Thanks Shapeways for implementing a material for high quality minis finally, with a thinner wall size to boot! Perfect!

Last edited: May 7, 2011