Model upload API change proposal, your input is requested

Discussion in 'Shapeways API' started by hans_lambermont, Apr 19, 2011.

1. hans_lambermont
    hans_lambermont Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    Hi all,

Lots (all?) of you want to get the model_id reported when you upload a model.
    Currently the API returns the string "successful".

Which new format would you prefer :

or

"successful, model_id=12345"

or something more XML-like ?

I personally prefer the "successful, model_id=12345" string as that is simple and leaves room for extensions.

If we change the return value would this break your existing clients ?
    If it does we have to move the model_id return feature to a new v2 API so that you can still use the unchanged v1 API.

-- Hans

2. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    coma delimited is fine for me but leave out the space so i can use explode without trimming.

for hidden objects the hidden hash is needed also. ideally the hash could be found in 2 ways.

1) returned with success string
    2) an extra function such as findURL($objectName or $objectID) or findHash either will work and id is better if you are returning the id with success.

as for braking code it will not break mine because i assume any response other then fail is a pass. and no response or fail is a fail. so far i get no response more often then not.

while we are at it can you possible return volume also so i can check if you calculated differently then me? or better yet make a library we can run locally to check the model before uploading?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  3. 34541_deleted
    34541_deleted Member
    wouldn't break anything for meshmixer, I ignore the return value...

4. 65258_deleted
    65258_deleted Member
    As I mentioned in another thread, we do allow you to retrieve a model ID for a public (not private) model; take a look at this example code:

if ($application_id == 'generated-creator') {
    $returnValue = $modelEntity->id;
    } else {
    $returnValue = "successful";
    }

So, set your application_id to be 'generated-creator', and you'll get the model ID value in return.

-Ben

5. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    great but when will you return the hash code for hidden objects