Did WSF print resolution just get worse?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by henryseg, Apr 10, 2011.

1. henryseg
    henryseg Well-Known Member
    I have printed many things in the "white strong and flexible" material, and other than slight variations in colour (perhaps just due to the older prints changing colour over time) I hadn't noticed a change.

However, I just received some prints which seem to be noticeably rougher than previously. I've attached two photos (in one image). The two models are slight variants of each other, but the central "X" is exactly the same size in the two pictures. The upper print was made in April 2010 (I ordered it 3rd April 2010), the lower print in April 2011 (ordered 27th March 2011). Looking at the number of contour lines, it looks like the resolution of the older model is almost twice the resolution of the newer.

I can tell from the grain of the two models that they were printed in the same orientation, so that isn't it. Did something else change? And would it be possible to go back to the finer resolution?

wsf_april2010vsapril2011.jpg

2. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
  3. henryseg
    The later one is 7.8 x 7.8 x 3.3 cm, the earlier is 7.8 x 7.8 x 3.4 cm. So no, I don't think it is a bounding box issue.

4. ChristelM
    ChristelM Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi Henry,

Just sent you an email about this. I have created a complaint out of this for you, and as soon as I know more about what has happened, I will contact you again about this.

Kindly Christel

5. henryseg
  6. henryseg
    Update: it seems there was some sort of error with my order, and Shapeways are going to redo the models at no charge. Good customer service!

7. henryseg
    The redo arrived today, and the print resolution is back to what it should be!
    wsf_april2011_redo.jpg