the WOW continues ...

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 35824_deleted, Apr 8, 2011.

1. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    The model below is 5.5" - 14 cm high and only 1.5 mm thick throughout. It is hollowed to 1.5 mm whereever possible.

It was for sure rejected here and successfully printed by another service. The model is nice and heavy, white is white and the price was very reasonable (read: considerably cheaper).

This is what you get from that unnamed materialising company:

In the package - model embedded in its support structure:
    DSC00146 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00147 (Medium).JPG

The model itself:
    DSC00148 (Medium).JPG

It's definitely time for Shapeways to get their act together - re. wall thickness, finishing AND pricing

2. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Thanks, will look into this as well. I wish there was much more of an update I can give--there are some things I can and can't share publicly just yet. Please keep me informed as you get more prints successfully printed that was rejected at Shapeways.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

Definitely wow

1.5mm thick walls.. smooth surface.. accurate colors placement and not distorted/smudged..

(It would seem the support material you received with the model i.e: plain white sandstone may cost 3 times as much as the model itself yet its not counted into the price..)

4. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Yes, I understand your pain. We are researching alternative methods that will give bright colors and strength. Please let me know when you get any more prints >> nancy (at) shapeways (dot) com.

Thanks

5. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    That is a beautiful print, done about as well as it can be done with current technology.

The model you show was processed mostly by hand. Because it reached a certain price point, it becomes efficient to do that. The material becomes a smaller fraction of the cost, and such a delicate model has to use support anyway. Applying the volume-based price scheme makes no sense in this context, especially with such a light model.

It sounds like what you're really looking for are hand finished models. Shapeways specializes in volume efficiency and other companies already provide the other type of service.

6. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    Nice theory, but the price tag for this thing speaks a very different language. Verify for yourself, if you like.
    In fact, if price and result are OK, I could care less HOW it is done.

To me, the massive support structure mainly prompts some questions about a linear volume-based price scheme.

7. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    I think we agree that volume-based pricing doesn't always make sense. It's just very convenient for calculation. This works in our favor for small items so of course its going to work less well in some cases.

It does look like there is a lot of demand for figurines, which has shown to be the closest thing to a "killer app" for 3d printing. I think we could expect a volume discount as with WSF, but I suspect they will hold firm on the wall-thickness requirement. This material is extremely delicate and figurines tend to have stuff sticking off of them that will break in automated depowdering. Switching away from automation would definitely kick up the price. Maybe Shapeways might consider a premium service for figurines.

8. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    BTW, no need to send PMs.

Read between the lines to find out about the unnamed materialising company.

9. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    @trompevenlo
    what was the cost of shipping ? now that they have a $99/euro limit for free shipping

I hate paying local UPS 120% (!) extra just for "opening a file" on my package.

10. 54973_deleted
    54973_deleted Member
    Um, I know I'm missing the point of the thread, or maybe everyone else is, but why did you 3D print this anyhow? It's completely awesome, don't get me wrong, but why not just make it? You know, glue, rusty springs and bolts. Seems like that would be much cheaper lol

11. 7777773
    7777773 Member
    I think the point is that this piece is decidedly not what it appears to be... which is often the point in a work of art.

It's an interesting use of cutting edge technology to create something that looks like it was made in an old-tech medium. I like it!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  12. 54973_deleted
    54973_deleted Member
    Doh! Good point! I didn't think of it that way! Ironic because I'm currently modeling something that plays off that same principle! Lol sometimes art needs explaining, can anyone say Jackson Pollock.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  13. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    Congratulations, you are the[list type=1]
    [*] first
    [*] second
    [*] third
    [/list]to ask that question and you all are absolutely right. Why would anybody be crazy enough to make stupid things like model trains, miniature houses, figurines and all that.

Just some wood, bricks and mortar, and voilà, there is your house. It's sooo easy and a lot of fun ...

But on the serious side, the real point of this thread is actually something completely different ...

14. 54973_deleted
    54973_deleted Member
    Lol, I thought I was being so original though! :) I'm guessing you'll be asked this same question many times over ;) I do think your stuff is really cool, are they originals or are you basing your designs off of already existing metal figures made the "traditional" way?

15. 54973_deleted
    54973_deleted Member
    Oh and yes, I see the underlying actual topic ;) Appreciate the sharing, competition for Shapeways can only mean improvement for us end users.

16. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    Since you asked for it: These were printed by .........

11cm (4.5") high, perfectly colored and sturdy at 1.5 mm wall thickness.
    View attachment 8706
    The same:
    View attachment 8707

This is what we found in the package from Leuven:
    View attachment 8708

and these are the wall thicknesses which made them so affordable.
    View attachment 8709

17. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    and another one, 23x31 cm, 1.5 mm thick with a 1mm honeycomb reinforcement on the back.

the smaller one in the lower right corner is a Shapeways print, 3mm thick.

the quality difference is evident.
    DSC00193 2.JPG

18. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    beautiful prints.

is the lower-right really from shapeways.. you got white !?

19. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    Like always, the Shapeways "white" is actually a light brownish yellow. It looks +-acceptable until you get something which has a real white.

20. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    yeah i know the "feeling"..

when it's not a real white all other colors suffer. :confused

Btw, did you also notice that the surface feel is different then a regular shapeways sandstone?
    could "they" be using a different material for color printing?

At first glance my tiger looks like a porcelain.. no grainy feel
    I have no idea how they can smooth such (delicate ?) prints like yours all over - it has to be some kind of a chemical post processing that reaches every curve and every spot.
    (just a guess - shapeways had this post processing back in 2009 and was stopped)