Square Fabric

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Magic, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi all,

I received today my Square Fabric. The main pattern is very interesting. It looks like a square but with some deformation (like the circles of the Brunnian Circles).
    Here is the elementary link:
    square_fabric_link.jpg
    And here is the result:
    Square Fabric 1.JPG
    I also tried to do a bracelet from it (exactly as I did a Stitch Bracelet from the Stitch Fabric).
    Unfortunately the pattern this time really reacts as fabric, and the bracelet collapsed. You can wear it but it folds and wraps. So this one is a fail.
    IMG_1823.JPG

But the fabric instead is really interesting: without the polygon limitation, you could probably do cloths out of it...
    :)

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    To reduce the polygons you could make it squared instead of round.

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Yes you are right I could make the section squared. But it would also modify the "squeleton" of the shape shape - that is the underlying spline - since the curve is wrapped around the sections (the "corner" of the link is currently the intersection of two cylinders). And then I don't know how it would fold...
    But I will perhaps try at least to make the model to better understand what this implies.
    Thanks for the feedback.

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    looks cool

;)

5. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi Stop4Stuff

I missed your Square Maille Flat N, but what I did is basically the same except that the way your link links to its neighbours is "up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down" while mine is "up-down-down-up-up-down-down-up" (if that makes sense :)) and you used a square section as YouKnowWho suggested.
    And using it to make earrings is very creative...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Coincidence or what!
    You even have a 5x5 square grid bordered by half width links!

I did try a more rounded version, but like you mentioned earlier, it soon eats into the polygon allowance.

Here's another coincidence - https://www.shapeways.com/model/142953/ :)

With your bracelet idea, would the weave be more stable if you staggered the links so that as a finished item it forms a diagonal pattern?

7. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Ahaha. Yes, coincidence. The number of squares was dictated by the polygons limit! And concerning the half square, in my initial design I had also quaters of squares before I realize that by having an odd number of links, they were not necessary anymore... :)

Concerning the second coincidence it is very interesting too... :) My Stitch Fabric is derived from my Scoubidou...

To come back to the bracelet, I think the only way to have it stable is to have the wires going through the whole circumference. I will try to modify the pattern to do so.

To conclude, I think I can say that I love your ideas... :D

8. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member