Absolutely WOW !

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 28396_deleted, Mar 20, 2011.

1. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    New arrival , this time not from shapeways...

I wanted to test another 3D printing service to see how i can get a real WHITE and vibrant colors as i saw on so many designers gallery pictures.

So, as promised the following W.o.W character turned out absolutely AMAZING !

The threads about what and how can be found here , here & here.

[​IMG]

First off the surface-feel on this model is way different, it would seems as if it was polished ! yes, no sandstone-granule feel but smooth all around even at the tightest tiniest places! amazing.

Second it's hollowed at exactly 3mm wall thickness (special hollowing process i use) and i could have dropped it to 2mm easily, as the minimum requirement is only 1mm (!) on that other 3D printing service website - yet 2mm seems to me as ideal !

So basically in terms of printing cost i was able to print a whopping 15cm long object at only $44 (the other sculptures i printed at shapeways were rejected as "not solid" or "not cleanable" and so i had to shrink their sizes to about 8-9cm in height - probably and i'm only guessing because of delicate Oven stage)

Anyway i'm speechless about the quality and how it turned out !
    I don't see any over baked darkened colors , and that awful off-white but vivid white.

See for yourselves..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(model hollowed 3mm wall thickness)
    [​IMG]

With the gang:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

2. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
    would you care giving us a hint ?

3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    This thread is not intended to prompt any other 3D printing service but to raise some questions and create a community discussion about shapeways current post-processing of full color sandstone - a process that while it is thought to make a model survive shipment.. in fact distorts the white into off-white and makes other colors darken.

I'll PM you that other 3D printing website.

Few minutes ago i put the tiger to dry in the sun - with one coat of protecting epoxy spray.

[​IMG]

I'm still excited about the whole thing and how this one in particular turned out.

To be continued..

4. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  5. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Hey all,

We have been looking into other finishing processes for the full color prints, Nancy will give an update as soon as we have something we are happy with.

We are aware that some of you are looking for brighter whites and sharper colors.

Oh, an please feel free to share images of your Shapeways 3D prints on the websites of other '3D printing services' too. ;)

Cheers

6. 35824_deleted
    35824_deleted Member
  7. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Ja, das ist ziemlich einfach Virtox...
    aber es gibt so viele 3D-Druck service ;)

8. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    lassen Sie uns zurück zum Thema ;)

First i don't think there is any 3D printing service out there that can beat Shapeways minimum order & price.

Yet after seeing the quality of the full color material & its properties that "other 3D printing service" use ... well..

@Trompevenlo PM sent.

@Virtox thanks! more to come, hopefully 3D printed at shapeways.

Btw, i got a confirmation email from their support engineer :

"Concerning the polishing - yes, there's additional polishing done for those type of art models, however not that much."

That explains the smooth surface.

Shapeways your move! ;)

9. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Brilliant job dizingof, well done.
    1mm wall thickness, smooth surface and a brilliant white base. I and all my customers would be very very happy with this. Come on Shapeways lets do it? ;)
    V

10. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Heya, Nancy will give an update, but it is 3mm in Dizingof's WOW model, not 1mm

Cheers

11. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    I looked again at their new redesigned page and it's now: 1.5 to 2mm minimum wall thickness..

The post processing includes infiltration with superglue then a UV resistant coating to keep the colors from fading plus it also smooths the model.

This WOW model is hollowed with a 3mm wall thickness but i doubt shapeways human reviewer would have approved it to print - all 3 previous models were rejected as "not solid" and "uncleanable" when i used an exact hollowing process with a 3mm wall thickness all over - even made enough clearing holes for removal of the internal support material.

I assumed this is because of the fragile post processing / Oven stage ,unique to shapeways, for this material so i had to make the models small.. and solid.

This tiger is 15cm long... if it were solid the cost will be 3 times what i paid - if i were to shrink it's size i can forget about surface details.

An example of an hollowing process i use with an exact X mm wall thickness all over to make printing large models affordable..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

12. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Hey guys, unfortunately I don't have anything substantial to give re: whiteness on full color sandstone. As you can imagine, we've been busy launching silver. I will bring it up with our production team tomorrow and maybe have some more information for you in a week or so.

Thanks,
    Nancy

13. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Hey Nancy,

Any news from the production guys?

Will they be willing to pass over the oven stage after the XLA infiltration of the full color sandstone models?

(I personally don't mind waiting over 10 days for it to dry out "in the sun" without been over heated in the oven - at least we can keep the white as white .. with the vibrant colors)

Cheers

14. neuralfirings
    neuralfirings Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  15. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Yup, they said that they recently changed their process and should be seeing better results. I sent in some test prints because I want to see if that's actually true.

When was the last time you ordered Sandstone from Shapeways? How bad is the yellow?

16. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Nice white there, near as white as the paper. Cyano infiltrant and UV proof varnish sound like a good method, they dry themselves to air and are pretty much transparent, after all.

17. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    This model arrived on the 16th of March 2011

As you can see on the models links on top of this page, the models i printed were over baked and the colors turned into coal black.

The rest of the colors are also too dark as can be seen on this print:

[​IMG]

When can we expect your test prints to arrive?

18. jeff
    jeff Member
    I printed this big white square to test the whiteness.

As you can see it's barely discernible from the background. ;)

just kidding, just been following this thread & looking fwd to more info.

19. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Add invisible material to your list Nancy :p
    V

20. jeff
    jeff Member
    I think she did, according to latest blog post.