Hola from Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by goido, Feb 25, 2011.

1. goido
    goido Member
    Hello I was wondering if Poser 8 custom characters are suitable for 3D printing. By custom I mean shaping the basic figures into something else with the morphs. I heard a while ago that the meshes were probably not dense enough? Could you make these hollow to save in costs? Would I need abase for the figures to be able to stand?

Thank you,

Andres

2. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    You can certainly make objects hollow to save on costs. The trick is to make the inside of your object connected somehow to the outside. Completely enclosed voids do not count as empty space and you will be charged for them. What I usually do to make an object hollow is shell the object so it has the hollow chamber inside, and then connect the inside tot he outside with a small cylinder and basically poke a hole through the surface, like a needle. This allows the software to see only your model and not count the inside volume as part of your cost.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    We're in the processes of verifying that hollowing method as acceptable or not. Some WSF models are being rejected because the material is trapped inside and too hard to get it all out, and for detail materials the hole has to be even larger for cleaning and models are being rejected. This all should be cleared up soon in some nice new material guidelines.

4. goido
    goido Member
    Thank you both! Which program do you recommend to deal with all the cleaning, Blender? I think I may need Meshlab and Acutrans also. I saw a model with the soles of it hollow, everything was solid but when put horizontally you could see it was hollow from the soles up. Also whta unique problems does Poser models present for 3d printing? I would like to do metal printing and white flexible strong.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    The cleaning I'm referring to is after the model is printed. WSF, glass, sandstone, and stainless materials all use the build material as the support material. So an escape hole is needed to empty out the extra material. For detail material a separate more rigid support material is used, that is more difficult to clean out of trapped areas.

6. goido
    goido Member
    So in the case of a human figure you would put the escape hole in a unsconspicous area? You would not have a figure with a hole in the back or the neck. Like in the example rabitt in this website I did not see a whole.

7. Youknowwho4eva
    You'd have to add the hole yourself in the model. So you get to pick where. Then it's up to the production staff whether they think it will be cleanable or not.

8. goido
    goido Member
    Thanks! Should I wait for the new material guidelines since a needle whole is too small perhaps?

9. Youknowwho4eva
    You can always try it with the needle hole, and if you're told it's unprintable they will tell you what you have to do to make it printable (if they don't tell you what you have to do, reply to the email and ask). You may get lucky and it may go through as is.