The Future of 3D printing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 70971_deleted, Feb 17, 2011.

1. 70971_deleted
    70971_deleted Member
    Its truly cutting edge ! But do you think this kind of personalization using 3D printing become main stream? Do you wish your favourite luxury/hi-street brand also offerred this facility where you could fet your belt with your personalized buckle...??

2. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    I see its your first post here, shikhagrawal. Welcome!

As much as I love 3D printing, I think we need to look at some of the bigger picture. The question isn't 'Will 3D printing become really big and mainstream' as much as it is 'Do everday users love customization, and is 3D printing an awesome way to provide it'? The answer to the latter question seems to be a resounding yes, and 3D printing may become quite popular as a result. Whatever the outcome though, we're all in a unique position to watch some amazing things take shape. I can't wait to see where we'll be 2, 5, and 10 years from now.

By the way, how did you find this community?

3. 70971_deleted
    70971_deleted Member
    Hi Ana,

Thanks for your msg. I have read about Shapeways in various Newspaper/magazine articles, WGSN and most recently by my tutor Philip Delamore.

I am doing a reserach on how 3D printing can facilitate Mass Customization in the Fashion Industry, and doing a case study on Shapeways as I think, you guys have really got it right.

However, I wonder what is the perception of consumers to the idea and how comfortable they are to use this? What drives them to experiment this technology and if there is a demand, how will fashion brands adopt it to their supply chains.

Any further insights?
    Regards
    Shikha

4. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Hi Shikha,

Shoot me an email if you would like to discuss in detail to duann (at) shapeways.com

This ties into my PhD so I am keen to chat..

Cheers