2mm Scale Rides

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 46486_deleted, Feb 16, 2011.

1. 46486_deleted
    46486_deleted Member
    Hello all.
    You may or may not have seen my previous N scale (2mm/ft) rides, but I have more!
    As before, these are in WSF.

Reverse Bungee.
    Due to the size of the piece, the material is very delicate, and the arms could not be produced in place, so they came detached, and I'll glue them on at a later date.
    The bottom frame measures 130mm long, and the arms are each 170mm.
    The Cage is 13mm wide & the Cage bars are 0.8mm in thickness, which I know is not in scale, but I wanted half of the cage to be printed, whereas the other two bars, I may make out of rod.

Overview:
    DSC_1116.JPG

And the Cage:
    DSC_1123.JPG

Freak Out Style Ride.
    After many attempts of trying to get this model printable, I finally have it in my hands, after spending countless hours head scratching!
    It measures 95mm Long, 58mm Deep & 78mm High.
    The seats on the cars are a perfect size, and I also have 4 spares.
    I couldn't really find much helpful information, regarding dimensions, but did the best I could.
    At the beginning of modelling, there were a few issues with the Model, that had to be sorted before it could be Printable, and there has been several different size parts within the Model.
    When I made the Cars, I came to add them to the Arms, and found the main Arm was too low, so had to raise it up, which in turn, made the main shaft shorter, which to my eye, looked too short, so I also made that higher, which meant the Main arms from the base, had to be completely redone. So, it's been a rough long 'Ride' to get this far, so I'm happy with the result.
    Overview:
    DSC_1110.JPG

Log Flume Boats.
    They were made to fit our Log Flume Track, that I made, and do fit a 2mm Scale person in.
    It was stupidly hard to try and focus with something of this scale!
    DSC_1125.JPG

Thanks for looking, more to come soon, Including a Top Spin, which is based on the original travelling version, & A "Glass Maze", which Will be lit...
    I'll keep ya'll posted,
    Tom.

2. Spongeinside
    Spongeinside Member
    That looks pretty awesome! I've operated a ride similar to your 'Freak Out Style Ride' a few times (I work at an amusement park) and been thinking of making a scale model of it :) But do you use technical drawings to get the measurements right or just do what looks right?

3. 46486_deleted
    46486_deleted Member
    Hi, thanks for that.
    Yeah, there's a few variations around, that I know of, and nice job!
    Nope, just go by eye, and some photos. Some ride manufacturers have basic Length, Width & Height, in some blueprint style Images, but nothing that makes it easy to work with!
    Thanks again,
    Tom.

4. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    @underitall Congrats on this!

It seems impressive that you made it without a blueprint, since the measurements are obviously incredibly important for it to work right.

What would you say the most difficult thing about this piece was? Curious to hear.

5. 46486_deleted
    46486_deleted Member
    Hi Ana.
    Thx for the reply.
    The Bungee was overall the quickest, apart the the Cage...The Cage itself, I probably spent longer on that, than I have anything else, in comparison to the size, compared to other things I'v modeled.It got rejected, so I had to take the other two rings off, for it to work.
    The Freak Out has been the most hassle for me, as I first started & ordered it early in the year, but it along with another ride, got rejected 2 or 3 times, and so has just been constant adjustments, but it's worth it to hold it in my hands.
    The Top Spin I ordered, only took about 8-10 hours, all together, but that was easier, because I had a HO Scale (4mm/ft) model, that I was constantly taking measurements from.
    Thanks again,
    Tom.

6. 46486_deleted
    46486_deleted Member
  7. chaitanyak
    chaitanyak Member
    wow! love it