Fractal Wings Earrings arrived in stainless

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by unellenu, Feb 10, 2011.

1. unellenu
    unellenu Member
  2. Spongeinside
    Spongeinside Member
    Those are really nice wings! Are you going to polish them or leave it the way they are?

3. unellenu
    unellenu Member

I may polish them up a bit ,using a polishing lathe, but thought that I'd photograph them as Shapeways ships them.

:) Janelle.

4. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Very beautiful design! I'd be interested in the pictures post polishing as well. We're experimenting with different polishing techniques that would yield a good shine.

What kind of machine do you use to polish, and how is it at handling more delicate parts?

5. unellenu
    unellenu Member
    Hi,

I was thinking of using a standard jewellery polishing lathe with polishing mops. I haven't tried polishing any stainless models before, so I'll let you know if it works or if any pieces break off.

Janelle

6. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Janelle,
    "polishing mops" are not a good choice for polishing SS prints that have not first gone through an initial surface treatment, like "barrel tumbling"! This material is extremely hard, like tool steel. It is also extremely abrasive! Until the (as printed) surface or, bark is cut down, it will tear up any cotton wheels, mops or felt bobs that you have. Also know that in this relatively rough state, small parts tend to snag, very aggressively! So be careful if you still want to give it a try. Here are a few suggestions:

Carbide burrs and diamond based abrasives are the quickest and most economical way to cut, smooth, brighten, or polish printed SS parts! Some types of rubberized abrasive wheels and "non-woven" style abrasive pads and belts are also useful but not as effective as carbide & diamond. Carbide burrs can do deep cutting or just brighten surfaces. Diamond products come as wheels, burrs, hand files, lapping pastes and film backed papers. These are available from relatively coarse cutting, down to optical grades. The "import grade" of most diamond products is low in cost and they work very well in most applications. Higher grade materials cost more, but because they work so quickly and effectively they come out costing less than any material I have found.

I say all this after many years of trying just about every method and abrasive product available. Just be safe and have fun.

-G

7. unellenu
    unellenu Member
    Thanks Spongeinside & nancyliang for inspiring me to give the earrings a quick polish.

Images of the results follow....

& Glen G the extensive tips are appreciated! :)

I used polishing mops without shredding its cotton - I held the design flat whilst polishing to avoid snagging.
    I've left the textured finish on the earrings and just brightened some of the non-recessed details.

I agree with your suggestions of rubberised abrasive wheels, diamond burrs etc too.

My process if I was wanting to spend more time to achieve a high level finish would probably start with wet and dry abrasive/ emery paper, and rubberised wheels to follow , with polishing mops for the finishing touches....If I eventually take the extra time to do this I'll upload pics of the results.

Although my current work is as a sales assistant , I am a trained jeweller & confident with a variety of jewelry tools, & I'm hopefully safety conscious enough too. Although I am grateful 4 the safety reminder.

Have a great one,
    Janelle.

wings_stainless_light _polish2B copy.jpg

wings_stainless_light _polishB copy.jpg

8. Spongeinside
    Spongeinside Member
    Looks really good! :D The partial polishing makes them look a bit antique :)

9. unellenu
    unellenu Member
    Thanks!

You're right about the slightly antique or aged appearance too.

:)