A few of my things

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Cuchullain, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Cuchullain
    Cuchullain Member
    I recently ordered some (most) of my own stuff and they came out great :)

the steel stuff needs some polishing, and I'll update this post and the prduct pages as its accomplished. I'm thinking just some fine grit sandpaper might do the trick until i get some polishing tools for my dremel.

First, my Shamrock Pendant:
    SANY0063 resized.jpg

Next, my Lightning Bolt Pendant:
    SANY0069.JPG

My Celtic Knot Pendant, which came out quite nice, except that the individual strands were fused. I'm think ing about making a bigger one in the hopes that they won't fuse. Maybe as a coaster or something.
    SANY0073 resized.jpg

Also, my Tragedy and Comedy Necklace:
    SANY0068 resized.jpg

Next I have my Harry Potter Deathly Hallows ring, which was a request from my girl friend:
    SANY0079 resized.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. Cuchullain
    Cuchullain Member
    And last but not least, I have my Tragedy and Comedy combined earring:
    SANY0074 resized.jpg

I'm happy with them, but I would greatly appreciate comments and/or critiques :cool:

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

I sanded the samrock a bit, an the result is better than the picture would indicate. I started with 220 grit paper and worked my way to 800.
    SANY0063 small.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    They all look really great!

If you need any polishing tips feel free to ask.

4. Cuchullain
    Cuchullain Member
    Thanks a lot :)

Any idea how I would polish the celtic knot? I'm thinking because of all the nooks anc crannies it's going to be the hardest. My first idea was a dremel and polishing compound, but I've never done anything like that before, so I really don't know.

5. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    If you just want to make it brighter, then a felt wheel with some Fabuluster should work, If you want to remove some of the printer artifacts and bums and stuff, then that's going to be a bit more difficult.. for something like this, i would probably hand make a special graver to cut along the surface of the knotwork.... You could also try some of the 3M sanding wheels.. they are thin disks with "arms" coming out from the center.. you can get some good angles with them... You could also do well with some rubber sanding wheels.. but be VERY Careful with both.. they take away a LOT of metal VERY VERY quickly!

Then there is always the good old method... sand paper and your hand, or a Jig... Me.. i love my Fordom (dremel with an attitude :D )

Hope this helps...

Ray

6. Cuchullain
    Cuchullain Member
    That does help, thanks.

I'm new to this, so if you wouldn't mind, could you explain how I would make a graver, or point me to where I could find out?

I'd like to smooth out the surface as well as shine it up, so I'm trying to see what my options are as far as that goes.

I've never worked with jewelry before, I got into shapeways as a way to practice my modeling a bit. I figure if I'm going to keep making things I like I should have some sort of system for polishing and whatnot.

Also, that Foredom machine looks great, but nothing near where I can afford for a hobby :(

7. stop4stuff
    This is my weapon of choice :) I also have various other bits'n'bobs that fit in with it, and I'll also make my own bits to fit.

As Ray said, polishing your celtic knot is not going to be easy... on a design that intricate, I'd use a wire brush wheel to clean up the surface followed by a felt pad and metal polish and leave it at that - the look of the stainless print sometimes enhances the look of a piece without it needing to be smooth & shiney.

A cheap alternative to a rotory wire brush is a brush used for cleaning suede leather.

For smooth & shiney, goto at least 1200 grit paper, followed by a good buffing with metal polish.

8. Cuchullain
    Cuchullain Member
    Thanks for the advice.

I think I may try that wire brush wheel (because I think I already own one), but won't it take metal off quite quickly?

I'm probably just going to have to experiment with a few different things.

9. InterSimi
    InterSimi Member
    It would be good to see your before and after pictures!

10. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I wonder what dipping it in soda would do? Does wonders for corroded old pennies.

11. Cuchullain
    Cuchullain Member
    I was actually thinking about something like that. One of my friends mentioned cleaning metals with acids/bases. I go to an engineering school so I hear all sorts of off-beat ideas about things, but it might be interesting to try :)

12. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Graver: What i would do, measure the mm width of each strand of your weave, then go to a jewelry supply place like www.riogrande.com and get 3 things, a round needle file, a graver handle, and a Graver blank. Then make a "U" shape that is as close to the profile of each strand of your design, then holding the Graver about 20-30 degrees from the pendent (it should be almost parallel with the pendent) LIGHTLY push forward, scraping everything smooth... Mind you, the more smooth and polished the Graver is, the more smooth and polished the metal will be after you cut it. You can see some examples of this type of cutting action if you search for videos on Hand Engraving, or Diamond Setting. Just remember to secure your piece so you don't accidentally cut your self. Gravers are usually sharp, and will slip... even when you are skilled.

Soda: Coke works GREAT as a basic acid after casting, and doing minor surface cleaning, but will do nothing for the actual topography of the surface, and it WILL bring out more of the bronze in the Stainless alloy that Shapeways uses.

Pictures: Agreed! Pictures will be Awesome!

Wire Brush: either by hand or a rotary wire brush would look awesome. it gives a nice mat shine to the stainless, not too bright, not too dull... but it wont remove the printing artifacts.. for that you will have to use intricate hand methods.

Honestly, it all depends on how you want your design to look. I have seen pieces with varying degrees of polish, and they all look Awesome! And hey, if you mess up, then just order another. Sometimes mistakes are the best part of learning.

Ray

13. InterSimi
    InterSimi Member
    Is it just me, or does the Stainless Steel look rusty?

14. stop4stuff
    The stainless is infused with bronze, so quite often it has a brownish tinge.

15. Cuchullain
    Cuchullain Member
    I think I may try the graver technique that you were explaining Ray, it sounds like what I am looking for.

I think I'll try to find a local store that has the supplies this weekend, so if all goes well, I should have some pictures up by next week :)

I do have one question not pertaining to polishing, how come if I make the Deathly Hallows ring personalize-able it automatically ups the price to $20? I've tried turning it on and off a few times, but it is always set to $20 when I set it to a personalizeable item.

16. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Personalizable items' price is fixed and for maximum volume.

17. Cuchullain
    Cuchullain Member
    Thank you very much, I think I've fixed it now :)