Scaling your model

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 23197_deleted, Jan 24, 2011.

1. 23197_deleted
    23197_deleted Member
    Hi folks,

I'm trying to upload a model to the Shapeways site, but it doesn't fit into the size parameters. Looks like I need to scale it down to get it to work.

Shapeways recommends a certain piece of software to adjust things, but it's a Windows-only package, and I'm working with a Mac. Can anyone recommend a Mac-friendly method/software package?

Jeff

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    What software are you using? What file type are you trying to upload? There are several free software out there, but not sure which are Mac compatible. I'm not sure but perhaps Blender has a Mac version?

3. 68396_deleted
    68396_deleted Member
    Try wings 3d. It exports to STL format and is a free application. I actually use it all the time for low poly modeling work.

wings3d.com

4. 23197_deleted
    23197_deleted Member
    I looked at AccuTrans 3D, but it's Windows-only. I didn't create the digital file myself (it's a scan of a maquette), but it's an .stl file.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    A quick scale you can do, is if it's designed to be inches, upload as cm. Also check out Meshlab. Not sure about it's Mac compatibility either though. If you're in a hurry, you can either upload it here or email it to me (email in signature) and I can scale it for you.

6. Klink
    Klink Member
    NetFabb can easily scale your item and the program is free and available for Mac os x ... I use it all the time :cool:

7. IceRaptor
    IceRaptor Member
    +1 for Netfabb. It works quite nicely.