The DaddyMack -in- Stack (including test piece)

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by daddymack, Oct 21, 2008.

1. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    Hi guys, just thought I'd show off some of the great items that have appeared here as they arrive.

First off is Incaras characters made by my proud 10 yr old

[​IMG]
    and a couple of LOD shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    and next up is the test piece I designed to get a good idea of the current limitations of the state of the art

[​IMG]
    And a link to a bloody big photo of it

[​IMG]
    And a link to a bloody big photo of it

A big photo of WSF material

A big shot of them from a slight angle

Overall I'm really impressed with what shapeways can achieve with their materials and these pieces have really given me a clear understanding of where the technologies strengths and weaknesses are.

I could waffle on about what I've learned from these pieces but I think the photos do it better...

More as they come:)

3. aws357
    aws357 Member
    These templates should be very useful for any designers...

It's like Pantone swatches for 3D printing...

:rolleyes: Maybe it will give ideas to the Shapeways staff...

4. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi guys,

we are working on updated material pages, so hang in there...
    The details swatches are a good idea to include.

Peter

5. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    These test pieces have enormous value. They clearly demonstrate what we can expect. I think these should be featured in an "official" article on the site (preferably with some history, to show how the technology is improving) describing each of the materials and the strengths and limitations of the printing process overall.

Thanks for a great post, and for spending the $ so that we can all learn!

-- Allan

6. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    aws357.. Thanks, I learned a lot from them so thought I should share

pete.. That would be great, you guys are doing an awesome job of keeping up with your users requirements so far and I really appreciate the way this service (and site) is shaping up

dadrummond.. Cheers, I'm glad you could benefit from them, I'm happy to crunch out an article if the shapeways guys are intertested

One thing that I learned that may not be immediately apparent in the images is that unsupported (doesn't have anything printed under it) details are less predictable than supported details.

Glad you guys are benefitting from this. btw, you can print them when you make an order, I purposely left it open for printing to public and each material costs a couple of bucks to print here
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/5721/test_print_piece.html

Thanks for your great responses:D

7. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi Daddymack,

an article? Sure we are interested.
    Always cool to see you guys are as passionate about this as we are.

Did you think to write it tutorial style or?

Pete

8. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    Hi guys, thanks a mountain to all who voted for Looie to win the AWN comp. He's the most awesome print I've received yet.

Just here to share some pics, hope you like

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm really happy with the new tracking system too, I got to watch Looie travel to me over a couple of days.

I couldn't be happier with Shapeways so far and offer my humblest of thanks to the Joris, Bart, Pete and the gang who make this all happen for giving us this great community of opportunity.

I've been casting resin successfully here now too of some of my other prints. I'll post some more pics soon

Again, humblest thanks to all :)

9. moxstudios
    moxstudios Member
    :eek: WOW I like it!, very cool character!.
    Feel so nice to receive the shapeways box, cool to hear you are getting success with the resin casting I really want to know how complicate is that process to give a try.

10. RalphVdB
    RalphVdB Well-Known Member CS Team
    hi Daddymack :cool: ,

Looie really looks awesome! Glad to hear that you are so happy with our service!

Cheers,

Ralph

11. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    ooh and of course, thanks Ralph :cool: You guys are literally opening opportunities for me.

Here's a couple more shots from my side off the screen

my little collection of penholders
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Octi Docti by my 12yr old daughter
    [​IMG]

finishing and prep for molding
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you like:)

12. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    Some more pieces to add to my stack here guys, I hope you like them as much as I do

First a shot of a paint test, the left Black detail, the right Matte spray on WSF

[​IMG]

2 of my Sixties Series pieces

[​IMG]

and the same pieces on stands

[​IMG]

Some more paint testing on some flex test pieces

[​IMG]

one of the stands and its inherent flexibility

[​IMG]

same stand in profile

[​IMG]

and it's brother, a much sturdier design

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More soon:)

13. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Awesome shots and prints!! I love it when the Daddymack In-Stack has a new baby :)

-Whystler

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  14. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    Thanks Whystler, I bought a new cam and these are the first shots from it... I love it, as I do my new babies:)

More soon

15. pp
    pp Member
    Great models make great pictures.

Always works best when you see the models in relation to something.

Why don't you put the pic's of the pen holder in your shop?
    That's one of my favorites.

Cheers Peter Paul

16. 15837_deleted
    15837_deleted Member
    daddymack, what kind of spray paint is that? Do all kinds work? I wouldn't want to melt a model or anything. But using spray paint would be very efficient if one wants to cover difficult shapes.

17. pp
    pp Member
    HI,

When I have painted some models I have used acrylic spray paints.
    The material (WSF) is Nylon so there aren't that many paints that actually will "melt" your model.

Good luck

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  18. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    PP, the penholder is currently in negotiations with a manufacturer/ distributor and should be finalised some time this quarter... They will be appearing for sale soon;)

anvariel, any paint will do really, the SWF material has proven so far indestructible here

Here's some more mess from my side of the screen, I finally got around to painting Looie... He is going to a friends place very soon as a gift (crazy I know but he's a very good friend)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to all who voted for Looie:)

19. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    More stackage here guys, this time some characters designed by my students and printed with shapeways for our exhibition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They resided in a hands off environment (perspex case) that's why the photos may be a bit odd looking

Hope you like

Thanks again to Frank and the crew at shapeways for getting these to us within our deadline

20. pp
    pp Member
    Very nice models, nice hair do in the guy :).

Are those painted or the purple-isch color comes from the Perspex?

I think the “off white look” works quite nice...