First order arrived

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 63602_deleted, Jan 19, 2011.

1. 63602_deleted
    63602_deleted Member
    So, I got my hands on my first ever Shapeways print. Yay! It's a great feeling to have brought a unique physical object into the world!

I've got the whole zodiac designed, but thought I'd best check one before doing any more modelling.

I'm very happy overall, apart from the fact that it seems to have skewed slightly along its Y axis. This is most apparent on the loop where the cord goes through. Has anyone seen anything like this before? The width of the loop wall is just over 1mm, so I guess that could well be the cause.

I've included a grab of the re-imported stl in Blender which seems to be fine.

Aries_600.jpg
    Loop_600.jpg
    Loop_Mesh.jpg

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    That's interesting how it skewed to almost match the face opposite of it. Perhaps its an effect of shrinkage? (areas of different thickness shrinking at different rates because of different rates of heat lose) The stainless process is very difficult and involves a few steps. Things like the horn being a long hollow object could lead to the skewing as well. You need some inside support structure to keep the weight supported.

3. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Wow,
    That is really weird! I don't think this was caused by shrinkage though. I'll make sure some of the science boys look at this. Could it be some software aberration I wonder?
    -G

4. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Two things. First, the main part has bent up, so maybe the full shape just twisted in general. You can see the top of the loop is same level than the main part, and some light below that main part. Or the loop "fell". Second... <1.5mm? Was this printed before the new rules? Would it be printed again?

5. 63602_deleted
    63602_deleted Member
    Thanks for the replies.

It seems that the whole shape is twisted, but it's most obvious on the loop.

I followed the advice on stainless steel here

<a href="https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=2754&start=0&" target="_blank"></a>

As the object is pretty small (38.5 x 31 x 4.65mm) I'd assumed a 1mm wall thickness would be be OK. There is no internal support, so that could be a factor.