Destroyer - Full color figurine

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 28396_deleted, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  2. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    What software did you make this with?
    I have a feeling it's gonna show a lot of polygons when printed.
    Can you render a faceted (non-smooth) view?

3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Sketchup.
    Currently also exploring 3D-Coat too - but it crashes on me to many times.

What do you mean?

You can click on "view in 3D" to see the model without the uv mapping.
    It has over 200k polygons. The pics are not renders but an actual screen shot by cortona3D viewer for firefox in real time.

4. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Oh, and you're probably just using a wrong uvw channel, so it's not exporting the right uvw coordinates.

5. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    like i said i tested my file on several software and it shows up good as the original.

just now i uploaded version 3 using rhino wrl "format" - hope it will be good.

It seems figurine especially fantasy ones are in great demand ..

A Microsoft VP of the xbox division left 6 figures salary and bonuses to pursue his idea - 3D printing figurines in full color for all..

His business seems to be doing very good with figurines 14cm high selling at $130 in US and 130 euro in EU.

Now all we need is shapeways offering glass domes with every figurines and we'll start a new niche here ;)

6. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    You mean those WoW figures?
    They sell because it's WoW.

At that price you can only really expect sales when you're working with fairly well known IP, or if you have a personal fanclub...

I'm kind of worrying that it might be a bit too difficult to get anything decently done here in Full Color Sandstone, since they seem to be somewhat excessively strict on their 3mm wall rule...
    [​IMG]

Anyways, I assume your model isn't using the first UVW channel, and Shapeways just assumes that is the UVW channel for the texture. Shapeways pretty much ignores anything in your material aside from the texture name, afaik.

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I remember someone asking about the uv mapping of a cube, but I can't remember the outcome. I know it printed right but don't know if they had to modify the map... If I run across it I'll link it.

8. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    That pic attachment is ridicules , no offense to no one but it looks like the work of a new employee at CS.
    What you have on that pic is NOT a wall but detail - contact Kevin he will aprove your model (it happened to me too)

Yes wow are wow... - still if you don't test test test you wont know..

9. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Yeah, it's sillly, it's not really an issue for me to boost that up to 3mm, the bigger problem is that I have to repeatedly reorder it just to wait two days and additionally a weekend and see it canceled again for yet another reason.
    I'm currently mailing with Maartje for this (was mailing with Kevin last week though). From the way they talk, it doesn't seem to be the CS guys canceling it, but some other 'colleagues' somewhere, and that the CS just relays their cancelation reason?
    It certainly doesn't help in getting things ready in time.

Just so you know, apparently it's no longer allowed to trap unbinded material powder in full color sandstone prints, because supposedly the wax doesn't dry properly and the print will break.
    Although, I do have a color printed figurine here that has material trapped, was printed without any delays, and is strong enough that I can even bend the legs by 1mm without any sign of anything breaking.
    You now have to provide holes of about 5mm at least.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  10. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Maartje is senior so it very very weird - if every detail on a 3 mm wall has to be also 3 mm we can forget about full color organic models or figurines.

Its ridiculous .

Anyway the 3rd upload has finished but the UV mapping is still wrong.

[​IMG]

Shapeways server put the fire pic right on ... the spot :laughing: vs the original:

[​IMG]

I don't know why.... this time the wrl file was saved from rhino, last time it was from meshlab.

If IT guys read this please advise.

Thanks

11. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Well, it seems to be decided by the "colleagues at the printer department" what is printable and what not. I'm waiting for some more information.

Have you tried trough obj format? (not sure if that's uploadable here though, but you could try exporting trough obj and back to wrl, since obj discards secondary uvw information iirc).
    Also nothing to do with flipped/mirrored texture coordinate system?

12. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    Personally I would not put this for sale because it is obviously the Deathwing from WoW in his human form. If you are going to print one for personal use I believe thats fine. but just to save you copyright hassle I´d leave it at that.

Also some text indicating who´s original character this is will always help your case.

link Deathwing:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/1zq8oqw.jpg

13. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Oh dear...

14. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    You think they are the same? :p

15. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Aside from faulty collapsed UV seems, and some cut off pieces, just about exactly the same.

16. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    naa.. they are not identical.

Still, need to figure out the faulty UV issue.

17. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Uhuh... here... over 20 test items with trapped material and "wax" is dry... they even resist drops (if you ignore the scratches or any small dents caused by impacts against other sharp things, which some varnishing protects against). And they are impossible to make with 5mm holes, so that is probably the final blow into the project (color resolution and random yellow tinting pushed it into the back seat time ago), price was already tight. !_!

18. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    really too bad..

I browsed the galleries.. there isn't much serious work done in full color sandstone.

Its time to shake up the dormant creativity for this material.

19. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    Creativity?

Seriously?

20. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    I never could decide if you're a designer or a petty shop keeper.. :confused

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.