Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Dotsan, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Hi, I was wondering why the full colour sandstone is a sandy shade and not a white as it used to be. In the picture you can see the difference. The feet on the figure which was printed about a year ago are a brilliant white but my latest model is a sandy colour. The white looks much better, can Shapeways make the full colour sandstone white again?
    [​IMG]
    Picture 003 by Dot San, on Flickr

2. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Bumping this, why has the full colour changed to yellowish base?
    V

3. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Color hasn't changed since I first ordered in color, so it's been this way for months at least.

[​IMG]

4. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    When it was first introduced it was a brilliant white, but something has changed
    this is what is advertised "We will finish it with XLA Form Infusion, a new impregnating technique which makes your model durable and keeps the colors vivid" but it's not what we are getting, can someone at Shapeways please clear this up, can we go back to the base material being a brilliant white?

5. WillLaPuerta
    WillLaPuerta Well-Known Member
    Must be very recent, because the things I ordered in late November were white where they were meant to be.

6. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    "White" is random pale bone to obvious yellow tinted, maybe some people get the prints with a perfect xlaForm batch and near white result, or the product darkens as it's used, so only first use approaches white. The photos in Hoodie 5cm, Love Bunny, Police Boat & Hibs Hoodie product pages show different grades of white, but the surface below them is always whiter. Is this hoodie the same than the one in the pages? Best photos to compare this issue are like Kaetemi's, with a good white reference (SW label?) to discard lighting issues, whitebalance settings or even personal perception problems.

Edit: typo.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  7. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    "vivid" is a marketing term that means: heavily oversaturated, darker than intended, and totally off-white ;)

8. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    I have noticed some batch-to-batch variation in whiteness based on the temperature and duration of the heating during the curing process. Your sample is definitely yellower than I'd expect. I don't use XLAform but I suspect a similar effect might be happening here.

9. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Thanks aeron203, that is very informative.
    V

10. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Well, it'd be nice if Shapeways could do some research towards having a secondary finish that we can choose from that retains a bright whiteness level.
    One of the comments I heard most yesterday was "the colors look washed out" (with the most often heard comment being "looks like candy" followed by "ohhh how cute"). :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  11. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Can anyone from Shapeways, please give us feedback and solutions to the issues regarding whiteness of full colour mentioned in this thread?
    Cheers
    VV