Animated 3D preview gone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Schmiegel, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Schmiegel
    Schmiegel Member
    It appears the interactive 3d Java preview is gone?

I only can guess what may be the reason. But if it's 3D grabbers, would it be possible to have an automatically generated simple animated gif instead?

I miss the preview as I did not care about the object orientation at time of upload :)

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
  3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Well, I don't miss it. Never once got it to work at home or at work...

4. GHP
    GHP Member
    It is a very good idea to use it on any model that MeshMedic may have modified (e.g. for unification of overlapping meshes or correction of non-manifold problems). Sometimes MeshMedic produces undesirable results in the process. Presumably you shouldn't have to worry about this if your model is manifold and unified to begin with, although differences in precision mean that some models may pass as manifold in one application (e.g. MeshLab) and fail in another (e.g. Blender).

5. bvr
    bvr Member
    The 3d preview has never worked for me either. Would it be possible to run a blender script to obtain the images required to create a flash based object vr?
    bvr

6. bartv
    bartv Member
    Yes, we've looked in to that option. The biggest issue is rendering time - a simple turntable animation with a few extra viewing angles along the z-axis very quickly adds up to 200+ frames to render. It isn't completely gone from our wishlist though :)

Bart

7. bvr
    bvr Member
    bartv,
    Does the 3d preview need to be that smooth?
    bvr

8. bartv
    bartv Member
    Maybe not; would a simple OpenGL-style render work for you?

Bart

9. bvr
    bvr Member
    bartv,
    Could you point us to an example?
    bvr

10. bartv
    bartv Member
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  11. bvr
    bvr Member
    bartv,
    That works great.
    bvr

12. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Bart.. What did you use to generate the render?

13. gratrix
    gratrix Member
    Maybe one for the future, but how about WebGL as an option?

I'm currently playing with it, and in fact I'm using it to generate my models on shapeways!

http://gratrix.net/polyhedra/webgl/

14. bartv
    bartv Member
  15. bartv
    bartv Member
    Who knows! At the moment WebGL browser support isn't good enough yet though.

For really large models (500k polygons) this may not be the best option, as you'll first have to download a *huge* 3d file. I'm guessing that displaying a prerendered movie is a lot faster?

Bart

16. gratrix
    gratrix Member
    Another problem I suppose with the WebGL (or some kind of render plugin) is that it might be easy to extract the model data which may not be desirable.

I do like the "it just works" of 3DNP though, and it was quick for me to load - in fact at first I did not realize it was a set of pictures.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  17. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    I'd prefer prerendered images as well.

18. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    I've already introduced a simple full color 360° GIF made from only 12 pics.. on my recent models.

I've suggested that back on November last year:
    https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=2104 6&#msg_21046

I can tell by the sales chart it works.
    It sure helps better visualize the model for customers even if it's only a rendering.

example:

[​IMG]

19. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Hi, Dizingof, I just recently did the same thing to one of my models:

bucephalus-horse-rotate.gif

Glenn

20. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Hi Glenn, Nice GIF ;)

(when rendering make sure your lights are equal on all sides)

Cheers