Here be Kraken!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by stop4stuff, Jan 6, 2011.

1. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    First, the 88mm version, Kraken printed in white detail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then the scaled down 18mm version, Kraken in Crystal, printed in transparent detail.

The raw piece from Shapeways has dull and rough surfaces. These pictures were take part way through the polishing process.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And after more polishing, back lit by LED,

[​IMG]

The design was a little foray into using Sculptris to try my hand at organic modelling. The Kraken in Crystal are destined to be made into earrings (once I figure out a wire cage style bezel) and the larger version may end up in a glass jar as a kind of Victorian (steampunk) specimen type prop.

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Wow nicely done !

If only that yellowish epoxy material was white clear huh? great idea!

3. stop4stuff
    Cheers :)

The yellowish tinge doesn't really matter for the Kraken in Crystal model, if anything it should help to add to the aged 'steampunk' look when I finally figure the mounting.

4. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Why dont you build one using Shapeways? Make a 2 part bezel that is clamped together with rivets or screws. That way you can add gears at the connector parts :) Maybe an LED or two for effect :) Maybe even give the bezel a nice Art Deco design motif maybe of seeweed or sea shells.

Just my 2 cents :)

Ray

5. stop4stuff
    That's certainly an idea Ray, and one I have been contemplating, however with the now strict 3mm wall thickness enforcement on stainless steel, I don't think it could be viable. (in my mind the bezel needs to be a metal of some sort to be for them to be steampunk)

6. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Ok, then switch it up a bit... Have two 3mm wires designed to be the bezel, then add rivet/screw holes at key points, Then have prongs also in the 3mm wire spaced evenly around the piece. Just an idea :)

7. stop4stuff
    That's inspirational Ray :)
    I can do that kind of thing with materials i've got here at home

Thanks

8. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Glad i could help! Metalwork is my specialty... I'm just now learning 3d :)

Again, awesome design :)