What material for prototype ?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 65028_deleted, Jan 2, 2011.

1. 65028_deleted
    65028_deleted Member
  2. reecejames
    reecejames Member
    Hello,

From the looks of these parts, I would be printing in white strong flexible due to cost, weight and accuracy of the models. WSF should be enough to get you a couple of test flights without worry.

Personally, I would be adding some vertical bracing to both of these objects as they will inherently bend in that plane. The look good in the renders, but printed or cast in that shape, they will either bend, crack of fail.

3. 65028_deleted
    65028_deleted Member
    ok, thx, i have adjusted the designs somewhat, i will give "strong white flexibel" a try.

4. reecejames
    reecejames Member
    Here's a datasheet with more detailed info on the WSF. Basically, you would shatter your servos's plastic before the part would shear in WSF, but it will bend.

Whenever I'm estimating the strength of a part, I think about how you would go about destroying it, bending, sheering, compressing, heating it up, freezing it, how much electrical charge is it isolating etc.

This case, what planes will it bend in easily. Here is a good example of a bracket with very little material, but is designed to not bend in the vertical plane.

Best of luck with this model, look forward to you getting it into the air!

5. 65028_deleted
    65028_deleted Member
    hi thx, i already uploaded and ordered the parts yesterday. I have to get used to the idea they will be delivered very soon. It's awesome.

6. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    PDF: "Melting point DIN 53736 172 - 180 °C, Vicat softening temperature B/50 DIN EN ISO 306 163 °C"
    SW: "Heatproof to 80 ºC"

Where is the trick? A typo? Complete different meanings of "melt" and "heatproof"?

7. reecejames
    reecejames Member
    The datasheet I believe is from the manufacturer. I believe melting point is probably where the material becomes a fluid (172-180ºC) while SW is stating it will keep most mechanical properties up to 80ºC without issue. A derating of 50% from the 163ºC softening point is probably not unreasonable.

8. 65028_deleted
    65028_deleted Member
  9. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    @XXL66 so very cool! Congrats.

Have you been modeling helicopters for awhile?

10. reecejames
    reecejames Member
    Awesome! Nice bit of modelling, especially on the gimbal!

11. 65028_deleted
    65028_deleted Member
    thx,

it is my first multirotor design (or heli)
    but unfortunally the coax drive has been patented as of 21/3/2011 so i had to go back to the drawing board.

Parts arrived today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]