Blender Simple Deform Help

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by cyberpatriot, Jan 1, 2011.

1. cyberpatriot
    cyberpatriot Member
    Ok, I need some help. I have a ring I'm trying to make and I even followed a good tip from shapeways here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yasl_r2DNv4 . My problem is I use the simple deform modifier to make the text into a circle. When I export it to .X3D shapeways flattens it. So its no longer a circle but a really small oval. I tried using meshlab to fix it, and it shows it the same way shapeways does. The problem with meshlab is the origin is off so I can't just scale it on the X axis, and when I do get it semi-circular the stupid thing throws off the scale. Can someone please help or guide me?! This is so frustrating!

Here is what the flatness looks like: https://www.shapeways.com/model/195820/moms_ring.html?gid=ug4 8629

I'm using Blender 2.55, BTW.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    Hi.

I use blender curves when i need text wrapped around something.

just add a "curve circle" then add a text, (you might need to align it according how you need it to be first) then select the text and then "Shift select" the curve. Press "ctrl+p" and select "curve deform"

You`ll need to rotate the text to make it follow the curve correctly.
    up view seems to work for me.

hope this helps.

here´s the blend file i made if you have trouble re-creating my feeble instructions ;)

Attached Files:

3. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    Did you apply the modifier in Blender before exporting? I use 2.49, and I generally have to apply all my modifiers manually before I export a model.

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    charmed_kitty_33 is correct - not all modifiers are applied automatically when you export a model from Blender.

To verify the export, you can re-import your file into Blender and check the geometry.

Bart

5. cyberpatriot
    cyberpatriot Member
    Thanks for all the help! The modifiers have been applied. It just keeps removing some of the letters from the ring. I was able to reimport the ring into blender without any issues but shapeways and meshlab would drop quite a few of the faces.

BUT I have got it now.
    I had to create the letters by hand and then run a difference on circle and the hand created text. I don't know if converting the text created to many verticies that X3D and DAE don't like, but creating the letters by hand seems to have fixed it.