Eyeglasses frames - How to manufacture? Should I 3D print them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1007140_deleted, May 3, 2016.

1. Hi guys, so I want to get into the business of designing eyeglasses frames. I'm talking about just the frames. Let's say I already have some designs I've made. Problem is, the technicality how to turn the frame into something practical is beyond me. Easiest for me is if there is a company that takes my design and manufactures it so that it can later be given to any eyeglasses store to have eyeglasses fitted to them. What do you think?

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Unle$$ your loaded I'd say it is time to pick up some 3D modeling software and start the learning curve. -S

3. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Wow, that's a tough market to break into. You would need to compete with established companies to get your frames placed into stores, and along with that goes all sorts of inventory and other problems. People that do this sort of thing with novel frames (wood, high fashion, etc.) normally start with a web platform to sell and it's up to the customer to take the frames to an eyeglass store and get their prescriptions inserted. That also means you need to be intimately familiar with all the related issues of sizing and glass insertion so the stores can actually accomplish the task.