Buying multiple quantities

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by CustomCool, Dec 2, 2010.

1. CustomCool
    CustomCool Member
    My 2 items are really small and cost .60 & 1.62 each respectivly.

They're detailed but both uploaded fine with no errors.

.4mm x 1.4mm x 1.4mm

One is metal the other plastic.

I placed an order for 32 of each of them..making the total count of 64 pieces.

My total order says it costs $26.24 with 0 VAT (I'm in USA)

So is this my total?? UPS extra charges?

It says this total price is the cost of shipping and everything..says so in the Terms and Conditions but I just wanted to make double sure. :)

Ok, moderators, please check my order and see if there are any problems, thanks.

I just paid thru Paypal. (AFTER I ORDERED AND PAID THRU PAYPAL MY SHOPPING CART STILL HAS THE 64 QUANTITIES IN IT)???

-David

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. The largest dimension's 1.4mm? To be honest, if they're that small I have doubts that they'll print at all; isn't the minimum size 5x5x5mm? You'd probably be better off combining the 32 items into a single file, and attach them together with a sprue so none of them get lost. That way you're also not paying the startup price for the plastic 32 times.

Andy

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    That and only .4mm in the one dimension. None of shapeways materials support such thin areas.

4. CustomCool
    CustomCool Member
    Then how can Shapeways have already approved them when I uploaded them?

And why would I pay a start-up cost 32 times, I already paid thru Paypal. My order is placed and no one has contacted me otherwise.

If, in the end, they are too small, yes I can redo my design and attach them all together with a thin "sprue"(is this correct?) so the total volume better matches my minimum.

Also, I could make them larger if need be. Can Shapeways "resize" them for me? Ex. 2X, 3X, 4X, etc?

Shapeways CEO where are you? :)

Thank you.

-David

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Then how can Shapeways have already approved them when I uploaded them?

It's automated, still not perfect.

And why would I pay a start-up cost 32 times, I already paid thru Paypal. My order is placed and no one has contacted me otherwise.

That start-up fee is included in the price for any polymide based material. The Detail materials don't have this start up.

If, in the end, they are too small, yes I can redo my design and attach them all together with a thin "sprue"(is this correct?) so the total volume better matches my minimum.

If they are small, then it is a good idea to connect them with a small piece of material (still meeting the thickness requirements) sometimes called a "sprue". I'm guessing because it is much like an injection molded parts sprue.

Also, I could make them larger if need be. Can Shapeways "resize" them for me? Ex. 2X, 3X, 4X, etc?

Not yet.

Shapeways CEO where are you? :)

NY?

6. CustomCool
    CustomCool Member
    Thanks for your quick reply.

So someone will contact me to tell me they can't be made? Or will the computer just put the order thru and make me some unusable products that I'll be charged for?

Well, if I "have" to make them larger to meet the minimum thickness then I would not order 32 of each. I would only get 4 or 8 of each(sprued together). It really depends on how big I must make them.

(correction)
    My total model's thickness is .4cm x 1.4cm x 1.4cm
    Some of the walls are .3 or .4 mm

Will this still work?

What is the minimum wall thickness?

Thanks for everyone's help.

-David

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  7. Youknowwho4eva
    You're already charged, if they are too small, in a few days when it gets to the facility and is manually checked, they will email you telling you that they are too small, and you will get a voucher for the amount spent.

To learn all the rules for each material check here (can be found under materials under the support tab above) https://www.shapeways.com/materials/

But real quickly: all plastic materials (except Alumide) 1mm, Alumide 1.5mm Sandstone 3mm, Metal 3mm depending on size below I believe 5cm^3 can be less, down to 1mm. And glass is 3mm but very very tricky design rules.

8. Don't forget that the minimum wallthickness for WSF is 0.7mm. But it's best to only push that occasionally (as I often have to); don't count on a piece being entirely 0.7mm thick to be too sturdy, but parts of a wall that thin seem to be fine.

Andy

9. CustomCool
    CustomCool Member
    Thanks for that.

I've rescaled my 2 models by 3x.

Now the minimum wall thickness is .4mm x 3 = 1.2mm

Total width is .4cm x 3 = 1.2cm

Total H&L is 1.4cm x 3 = 4.2cm

I will wait for any credits back before I place this new order.

Thanks again.

-David

10. GHP
    GHP Member
    I'm puzzled by the total for your order. If your parts cost $0.60 and $1.62 each, 32 of each of them should come to $71.04, not $26.24!

11. CustomCool
    CustomCool Member
    I changed one of the parts materials at the last minute to Acrylic-based photopolymer, sorry. The part is .22 cents each. Add that with the .60 cent part. :)

12. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi CustomCool,

The explanations above are correct: the model will most likely be canceled by an operator.

If you'd like to speed up the cancellation and get a refund, just mail service@shapeways.com - they'll sort it our for you.

Cheers,

Bart