Your Own Shapeways Business Cards?

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by bartv, Nov 17, 2010.

1. bartv
    bartv Member
    Here's an idea that we've been playing with: would you like to have your own Shapeways business cards? With your own images in the logo and a link to your shop? I'm sure we could pull it off, but we'd like to know if you're actually interested in them and if/how you would use them. Please let us know!

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Yes to own business card with model.

Yes to model picture on card (even if it is just the render image.)

Yes to a link to shop.

And, how about a QRcode physical hyperlink too :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  3. bartv
    bartv Member
    Ah! A QR Code! Clever :)

Bart

4. clsn
    clsn Well-Known Member
    Indeed, I'm going with the family to a convention this weekend, dragging my dice along... if I should chance to meet some folks there interested enough in my dice, I plan to have some cards printed up with the URL on it, and a QR code for them to scan. I thought of this before seeing this thread (all by myself; I'm so proud), and of course this would be too late to help this weekend, but it would be a nice thing. Included in shipments when people order from your shop?

5. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Sounds cool.

6. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Bart,, i've sended you several emails about this! but havent had any replay on them :p

7. artificial
    artificial Member
    Yes! Business Cards would be very nice. I often tell about my shapeways shop theese days, and people are very often interested, but there's a missing link between the talk and the webshop - a business card would probably help.

8. 40444_deleted
    40444_deleted Member
    I would love that, will u make them available soon ? :D

Francesco

9. 45667_deleted
    45667_deleted Member
    This would be great! I would love to have a business card specifically for my shop.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  10. HerndonDesign
    HerndonDesign Member
    Abso-freakin-lutely would I love it if when a customer ordered something from my shop it came from you with a business card with my logo etc on it! It would allow all of us to convey a much more professional image! (that's what you had in mind right? lol)

11. 2007_deleted
    2007_deleted Member
    This sounds great, I have had a need for these and was going to make my own cards but have not found the time. If your coding team are up for it you could make a tool in the "my designs" that allows you to customize the card and then order them.

Leigh

12. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    yes but I need to draw up a nice logo first. By the way I have a short form QR generating script I have written. uses my 5 letter domain to keep the bar code as small as possible.

13. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    YES!

That would be totally awesome!!!!

Count me more than in. :)

14. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Ok guys, duly noted you like it. We will put it on our list.

15. mctrivia
    Crazy idea. discount on 3d printed business cards?

size limit of 85x50x3mm minimum order of 100 with 1 month lead time, WSF only. Flat rate of say $200 with $100 voucher towards future prints. Just an idea.

16. Sylook
    Sylook Member
    Strange timing. I uploaded yesterday a test print for exactly this!
    3d printed business cards!
    Unfortunately I still don't have a cost estimate because of the current upload issue.... :cry:

17. Sylook
    Sylook Member
    And now I have a cost for a x5 stack of cards....

It's about 2$ per card in WSF. Not cheap...

(and I don't know if it will even print at 1mm thick :( )

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  18. mctrivia
    you can go as thin as 0.7mm thick and without shapeways giving us some kind of discount for business cards they just are not to feasible. I would be willing to pay $1 each if I could make anything within a 85x50x3mm box. I would even be willing to pay double up front as long as the end price was only $1 each. Any more then that is just not reasonable for a business card.

A standard flat card one works great also. 3d would just be cooler and give an example of what you can do and in my opinion be more likely to bring more customers. more customers means more profit for shapeways so subsidizing the cards will pay off in the long run.

they could even add the restriction that the shapeways url must be included(I.E. shapeways.com or shapeways.com/shops/propmodule or any other url as long as the words shapeways.com is part of it.)

My guess if you take my suggestion. 100 cards will bring in $200 up front. there cost to you is probably about $80. eventually customer will use the remaining $100 for prints but you will probably not lose much as most of that money will go to markup.

Now if 1 in 5 cards handed out results in a sale of $25 that means for the small lose on the cards you will bring in $500 future sales.

I do not know your actual cost ratio but you do and you can do the math yourself and offer us what you think is reasonable. Don't be afraid to possibly lose some money up front you will likely get back 10 fold. And people will likely make there cards pretty thin for the most part since they need to fit in peoples wallets.

19. Sylook
    Sylook Member
    I think that at 0.7mm, with a little experimentation, I could drop the price to 1.50$/per card, maybe even less than that.
    Now, even at this price point, it is expensive if you use it as your regular business card, which you won't...
    It's use should be reserved for important clients and/or businesses, when you really want to make an impression.
    That's my take on this.
    Of course it would be great if Shapeways could offer a significant discount on this... :eek:

20. 27842_deleted
    27842_deleted Member
    That would be GREAT !!! I am a Drafter/Designer and have already referred Shapeways for my clients' prototyping needs. Several of them have done business with Shapeways since my referral. It also boosts my business because of Shapeways high quality models, price and service.

I would be proud to carry a Shapeways business card. Where do I sign up !?!?! :D

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010