Shapeways site update of November 11th 2010

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by barrys, Nov 11, 2010.

1. barrys
    barrys Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    Hi all,

we had a site update today. We released the following features:

Signature on forum postsYou can now add a signature in your profile page which then can be added to a forum post. Simply mark the checkbox 'include signature' when writing a forum post.

Categories on model detail page are clickable.The categories selected for a model are now clickable, which will bring you to the specific category.

New popular model sort optionThere is a new sort option called 'New products' which shows the most popular models that are added in the last 30 days.

Forum default notificationTo improve the interaction on the forum, the checkbox of the 'Post notification', when writing a new forum post, will be marked by default. You can disable that option in your profile, if you don't want that.

Besides the features above we also had some (bug)fixes:

Hisdesign links and shoppage links are merged.The hisdesign page and shoppage are almost identical. So all link to these pages are changed so that when a user has a shop you will end up on his shoppage, otherwise in his hisdesign page.

Materials on restricted list are sorted on material type

Related product gallery didnt show the right models anymore. It will show related models from the category you came from.

The required city field in your profile was not visisble if you had not chosen a country in the country selector

Chamber of commerce field is not obligatory anymore for business users

A 'new topic' button on the forum is added, so you don't have to scroll all the way down anymore.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Awesome! Thanks!

Fantastic additions/fixes :)

<snip>redundant remark</snip>

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  3. barrys
    You are correct. I edited my post.

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    Awesome! I see lots of things from my wishlist :)

Cheers,

Bart

5. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    You know, maybe I'm just too philosophical before I have my coffee in the morning, but it's stuff like this that makes me really love Shapeways. You guys listen to the user's feedback and try to make things better for us. Heck, even just looking back on the short time I've been a member, the site and service have improved so much! I wish more companies/communities could be as awesome as you guys, I really do.

6. TerraCotta
    TerraCotta Member
    Hear, hear!

7. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    It takes hours for my models to show up on "my design" .. and idea why?

Updating a model takes forever too..

8. bartv
    bartv Member
    We had an issue with this earlier this week, but we expected it was solved. Please give it another go and if the problem persists, mail the file to bart@shapeways.com so I can check what's going on here.

Thanks!

Bart

9. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    my uploads won't show up either..
    but the email says it became printable..

10. barrys
    It can take up to 5 minutes before the model will be visible in your mydesigns after you received the 'Model became printable'-email.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  11. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Barry,,

then why is that the 3th model i upload will get in my designs before the 1st and 2th.. most of the times they don't arrive in my designs?

12. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    my Subdivide Bowl took all night before it appeared in "my designs" ALSO i'm starting to get reject emails for new uploads with "reason known" - Kevin is checking a file i sent him.

13. GHP
    GHP Member
    I uploaded a file on Nov. 23 (I think) which still hasn't shown up, although I did get the e-mail to say that it had become printable. When I loaded it again, it did show up fairly quickly.

14. barrys
    @jettuh, I don't have a specific explanation about that (but could be several). Can you send me the names of the files in question and I can try to find out what went wrong.

@GHP
    Can you also give me the name of the file.

@dizingof
    An unkown reason usually means a not documented reason yet. We'll look into that.

15. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Barry, no need for it!
    i uploaded the same file 3 times with 3 diffrent names!
    3th one did arrive :p

16. GHP
    GHP Member
    Sorry - I'm not sure I know what the file name was anymore. If it happens again I'll let you know.

Thanks,
    Gillian.

17. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    The issue is still on.....

It takes hours for a model to get checked and show up on "my design".

Waiting for my new model for over an hour now

What has changed? it used to be minutes.

** Also i cant upload a zip file to a co-creator order.
    I zip as usual with "best quality" option - this time shapeways system refuses to read it - i didnt get a reason just "error" - so i uploaded it independently and then i got the reason - its a bout the stl file with a "dialect" - but my zip files contains a .wrl fie and 3 .jpg pics....

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  18. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Hmm, currently I do not have any problems uploading raw stl binary files.
    (they do show up within minutes)

But it might be that vrml/color now has its own upload branch/queue.

Does the raw vrml file without pictures upload ok?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  19. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    No it doesn't.
    The error with this .wrl file (for the first time i might add) is
    "It did not pass the check Model validation"

i did loaded it with meshlab and re-saved it as suggested by support - no help there.

Still - my stl files however begun to take hours before they show up on "my designs"..
    (obviously i take care of any issues before i upload - never asked support for help on fixing any of my designs)

So basically perhaps it's the new installed Netfab software that Kevin told me about - it has a bug concerning the center of the axes - so i have to do it manually on my end on every new model before i upload - until it will be fixed.

20. 55838_deleted
    55838_deleted Member
    I added a model on the 20th of November. I have been notified by e-mail that it became printable, but still i can't find it in My Designs section.