Color Printing From Sketchup

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by HerndonDesign, Nov 5, 2010.

1. HerndonDesign
    HerndonDesign Member
    Okay, I feel like I've read everything in the forum about this, but still can't figure it out. The tuturial here helped a lot but I'm making a model that has a curved surface and once I've exported out of Meshlab to VRML the mapping is all out of whack.

Does anyone have a foolproof process?

Here's what I have been trying:

-Export .dae from sketchup
    -Open .dae in Meshlab (texture looks great)
    -Scale the model appropriately (texture still looks fine)
    -Save as a .wrl file
    -Open .wrl file in notepad and fix image location (per the tutorial)
    -Open .wrl file in meshlab to see if it worked and the map is all messed up!
    -If I open the .wrl file in the viewer I have in IE it's also mapped incorrectly, but differently than in Meshlab.

When I try and upload to SW I get an unknown error, although it uploads just fine as a .dae so I'm pretty sure it isn't a geometry issue.

Any insight anyone might have on taking a .dae from sketchup and locking the mapping coordinates before exporting to VRML would be appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

2. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    My first suggestion would be to try doing the scaling before exporting to dae.

There are a couple of things that can go wrong here, but usually it is related to the scaling, which can reduce the precision of the objects vertices. There is no fool proof method, but if you post the file we may be able to tell what is going wrong or suggest a different approach.