First Color Topographic Model - Mt. St. Helens

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by chronopsis2, Nov 3, 2010.

1. chronopsis2
    chronopsis2 Member
    Took several tries, but finally made a topographic model. 10 x 8 x 1.6 cm. This is Mt. St. Helens, using elevation data and aerial imagery from the USGS seamless data system. It's hollowed out underneath to save $. I'm impressed with the photographic detail; pretty close to the resolution I'd hoped for. Haven't yet coated it with gloss acrylic medium, which is what I've been using on my other color sandstone prints. A little reluctant to make this all shiny...
    item page here
    fullview1.jpg
    angleview1.jpg
    craterCloseup1.jpg
    craterCloseup2.jpg
    craterCloseup3.jpg

2. 10296_deleted
    10296_deleted Member
    That's really neat. What was your process for converting the USDS data? I admittedly haven't done very much searching, but I haven't seen anything regarding the format on the USDS site.

3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Exactly my response and question...

Glenn

4. chronopsis2
    chronopsis2 Member
    It's the USGS site, and once you get the process down, it's a great resource. I made a little workflow tutorial (for my students) here:
    Using the USGS map server

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Where does your example zoom into? that looks very close to my home lol. At least if you zoomed into Maryland's eastern shore. As far as St. Helens, I've always had a fascination with it. Lovely model.

6. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Wow, fantastic tutorial... FYI, curiously, the very last two images did not load for me.

Glenn